pc incredibly slow when inserting network cable (from gigabit switch)

Hi,

I'm having strange problems with a gigabit switch (extreme summit

400-48t). symptoms: servers connected to it (mostly sun v20z, also v210 & v240 servers) seem to loose network connectivity (i can't reach them anymore on the network). then a minute later, everything works again as expected.

the servers are all equipped with gigabit NIC's. (I think the v20z use broadcom cards, the sun v210 & v240 use sun's gigaswift ethernet cards.

another thing that happened the other day was that as soon as i inserted a network cable (that was already connected to the switch) in my laptop, my pc was behaving extremely slow. as soon as i removed the cable, the pc acted normal again.

I'm using cat FTP 5E cables (gigabit certified). I looked in the log on the switch (show log "debug" command), but didn't find any errors.

I was just wondering i any of you have a pointer ? the ports on the switch are on 'auto negotiation'. I read somewhere that I should probably leave them like that. Perhaps i should fix the speed on the NIC on the server ?

any ideas ?

thx,

Tom.

Reply to
tom
Loading thread data ...

Is portfast enabled? Sounds like the port is negotiating spanning tree.

Reply to
Phil

Extremes don't run spanning-tree by default.

Firstly, lock the port speed and duplex on both the switch and the servers. The OP doesn't say whether any layer 3 functionality is being used, or whether its part of an EAPS ring.

I use Extreme switches extensively and have never had this problem with connectivity. Posting a copy of the config would probably help....

Reply to
Gordon Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.