Overload

We run a central pix with 20 or so 837 adsl vpn's of varying size coming back into this.

The line is a 10mb line and we are generally seeing throughput of 4m inbound

3m out.

The line does feel congested when using it at times.

If we are pushing the line should we be seeing something closer to the 10mb throughput?

Also, if we wanted to max the line for a few hours on a quiet weekend evening would copying large dvd.iso files back and forth from various locations simultaneously be the best way to max it out to test it?

Reply to
jas0n
Loading thread data ...

In article , jas0n wrote: :We run a central pix with 20 or so 837 adsl vpn's of varying size coming :back into this.

:The line is a 10mb line and we are generally seeing throughput of 4m inbound :3m out.

:The line does feel congested when using it at times.

:If we are pushing the line should we be seeing something closer to the 10mb :throughput?

Which model of PIX? The numbers you list suggest that it might be a PIX 506 (non -E) ?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The pix was swapped out last night for a newer model that will also have another in place for failover but I dont have the model/spec currently, i'll have to get hold of that tomorrow.

Reply to
jas0n

its the 515e unrestricted

Reply to
jas0n

In article , jas0n wrote: :We run a central pix with 20 or so 837 adsl vpn's of varying size coming :back into this.

:The line is a 10mb line and we are generally seeing throughput of 4m inbound :3m out.

:The line does feel congested when using it at times.

:If we are pushing the line should we be seeing something closer to the 10mb :throughput?

You indicated in a follow-up that the device is a PIX 515E Unrestricted.

The published rating of that device is: 22 Mbps 3DES (without VAC) 63 Mbps 3DES (VAC) 140 Mbps 3DES (VAC+) 135 Mbps AES-128 (VAC+) 140 Mbps AES-256 (VAC+)

If I recall correctly, the 515E Unrestricted includes a VAC if bought

-as- Unrestricted (but that the VAC is not, AFAIK, included if one buys Restricted and upgrades the license to Unrestricted.)

Your 7 Mbps throughput should be well within the capacity of the device.

I suggest you exmine the CPU load; if you do that via the PDM, you can get a nice graph over time.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.