OT? Modem based router status software?

Hello, So, I have one Windows Server 2000 box at work that has a 56K modem... (I have more servers, but only one with a modem). Does anyone know of the opensource/free /less than $100 software that pings certain devices (routers, switches, etc) and if they don't respond after, say, 4 pings it dials a phone number (like cell) and tells you the system is down?

I would google this, but I have no clue what term to use...

Thanks for the help, Scott B.

Reply to
darktiger
Loading thread data ...

Hello, So, I have one Windows Server 2000 box at work that has a 56K modem... (I have more servers, but only one with a modem). Does anyone know of the opensource/free /less than $100 software that pings certain devices (routers, switches, etc) and if they don't respond after, say, 4 pings it dials a phone number (like cell) and tells you the system is down?

Reply to
darktiger

Reply to
darktiger

~ Hello, ~ So, I have one Windows Server 2000 box at work that has a 56K modem... ~ (I have more servers, but only one with a modem). Does anyone know of ~ the opensource/free /less than $100 software that pings certain devices ~ (routers, switches, etc) and if they don't respond after, say, 4 pings ~ it dials a phone number (like cell) and tells you the system is down? ~ ~ I would google this, but I have no clue what term to use... ~ ~ Thanks for the help, ~ Scott B.

A lotta guys would use something like perl for this. For the "dials a phone number" bit, I'd just have the perl (or whatever) script open a TCP connection to an always-up SMTP server and transmit the message (to the cell phone's message address.) Actually, come to think of it, with this scheme, you don't need the modem.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

If the router is down, there is no Internet ... without Internet, sending a message via TCP is a bit hard..

Reply to
darktiger

Servers Alive @ woodstone.un

Great program been us>Hello,

Reply to
gene martinez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.