Obtain DNS Information from Provider

I have an 1800 ISR router with an ADSL HWIC. The HWIC is configured and I'm connecting to the provider without any problems. Behind that, I have an ASA firewall coming from an internal interface on the ISR. I have been using the DNS settings provided by my ISP to manually conifgure my client stations on the inside of the ASA and would like to transition to DHCP.

When using the ISPs DSL modem, the modem obtains the DNS information for that session which periodically changes. How can I configure my

1800 ISR to get this DNS information, pass it to my ASA, and have the ASA use this information when leasing IPs to clients?

Thanks~! DCS

Reply to
DCS
Loading thread data ...

assuming 1800 is getting its IP and DSN info via DHCP, then set up a DHCP pool on the 1800 configured with the import all function.

On the ASA configure DHCP relay to relay DHCP client requests from PCs thru the ASA to the 1800

Reply to
Merv

Hey,

The IPs are static but the ISP DNS servers, while MOSTLY static do change occassi> assuming 1800 is getting its IP and DSN info via DHCP, then set up a

Reply to
DCS

Can you please provide an ASCII diagram of the current setup and the planned setup

When you say ISP gateway exactly what are you referring to ?

Is it a device at your site ?

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.