nat (inside) 0, global and VPN

Good evening guys!

I am in this scenario (PIX 6.3.4) ... and I really need help since it does not work.

Anyone inside needs to be nated and pick-up an IP from a pool before going to a VPN.

Here, I've copied/pasted bribe of the config.

I am not sure the order of the "nat (inside)" sine I do not get why the "nat (inside) 0" should not be labelled "nat (inside) 1 or 2,3,4" since it is processed first ... Or, is it not processed first? Because at that stage of passing through the "nat (inside) 0", insie packets haven't been nated.

How do I troubleshoot it?

Thanks for your lights!

Nicolas

Reply to
none
Loading thread data ...

In article , none wrote: :I am in this scenario (PIX 6.3.4)

:I am not sure the order of the "nat (inside)" sine I do not get why the :"nat (inside) 0" should not be labelled "nat (inside) 1 or 2,3,4" since :it is processed first ... Or, is it not processed first? Because at that :stage of passing through the "nat (inside) 0", insie packets haven't :been nated.

:nat (inside) 0 access-list no-nat

nat 0 access-list is always processed first, no matter what other nat or static are in the configuration. (Note: nat 0 that does -not- have an "access-list" is not processed until a later stage.)

:nat (inside) 1 10.1.6.0 255.255.255.0 :nat (inside) 2 access-list net_outside

The next in priority order is "static", but you do not have any of those.

Third is nat with an access-list. Thus your nat (inside) 2 statement will be processed before your nat (inside) 1 statement.

Regular nat like your nat (inside) 1 statement are processed next. The order of the regular nat statements in the configuration is ignored, and the policy number of regular nat statements is ignored in determining priority: for regular nat statements, the one that takes priority is the one that is the longest match for the IP address.

-Except- for policy number 0, the only reason to have a policy number on the nat statement is to match it up with the corresponding global statement.

:global (outside) 1 192.168.10.1-192.168.10.33 netmask 255.255.255.0 :global (outside) 2 interface

The order of these is whatever falls out of the rules for nat. The policy number does not matter for global, other than to match the global with the corresponding nat statement.

:access-list no-nat permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.224 192.168.20.0

:access-list 5th-floor permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.224 192.168.20.0

:crypto map crypto-map-std 10 match address 5th-floor

crypto match ACLs are evaluated *after* any NAT. If you examine your nat 1 and global 1 statements, you will see that traffic other than that matched by net_outside is being nat'd into 192.168.10/24 -- which happens to be the source range for the crypto map match address.

Therefore, traffic that is not http/https/ftp/dns traffic, and which happens to be addressed to 192.168.20.*, will be pulled into your crypto map and sent across the IPSec link.

When those packets return from the other end of the IPSec link, they are going to be packets sourced from 192.168.20.* and destined for 192.168.10.* . That will match the crypto map ACL, so the packets will be decapsulated okay. But then those decapsulated packets go through the NAT process. The first thing looked at in the NAT process is the nat 0 access-list, and for incoming packets that ACL will be read "backwards", reversing source and destination. The "forward" reading has 192.168.10.* as the source, 192.168.20.* as the destination, so the backward reading will look for packets with 192.168.20.* as the source and 192.168.10.* as the destination. Which describes the packets that have made it back through the VPN.

The nat 0 access-list thus matches, so the packets returning from the VPN will *not* be translated back to the original IPs -- instead, the PIX will try to figure out where 192.168.10.* is, and send the packets on to there. There is no specific route statement for 192.168.10.* and

192.168.10.* is not the inside interface, so what would have an effect is the route 0.0.0.0 to the outside that you must have snipped off the posted config, so the PIX would want to send those packets outside. But since the packets just came in from the outside (via the VPN) the PIX will refuse to do that and will just drop the packets instead.

In short: your VPN doesn't work.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

If you look at NAT rules like acl lines , as soon as one is triggered by the packet, it jumps to the end without processing the other lines.

So let say that 10.1.6.1 calls 192.168.20.1

It will not trigger nat (inside) 0 access-list no-nat ( in fact this line is useless it will never be used)

It will trigger nat (inside) 1 10.1.6.0 255.255.255.0 so now your packet is 192.168.10.1 calling 192.168.20.1 . And since a NAT rule have been triggered the packet continu to be processed and it will now trigger the crypto- map crypto-map-std using the acl

5th-floor . It will not go through the NAT process again , that's why nat (inside) 0 is not needed IN YOUR SITUATION .

Another problem i see , is that since nat (inside) 1 10.1.6.0

255.255.255.0 is triggered whatever the destination , then nat (inside) 2 access-list net_outside will never be used and your public internet access will not work.

So i would try ;

1- removing nat (inside) 0 access-list no-nat 2-creating an acl access-list nat-5th-floor permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.224 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 3-replacing nat (inside) 1 10.1.6.0 255.255.255.0 with nat (inside) 1 access-list nat-5th-floor ( it's recommended to use a separate acl for the crypto and the nat)

hope it help !

Reply to
mcaissie

just saw Walters replies with some contradiction with what i said

"Third is nat with an access-list. Thus your nat (inside) 2 statement will be processed before your nat (inside) 1 statement."

I didn't know that one , good to know !

--learning all the time--

Reply to
mcaissie

In article , mcaissie wrote: :just saw Walters replies with some contradiction with what i said

I stand by my point about the nat 0 access-list being used when return packets come back from the VPN. Used in such a way that the packets get lost, but still used (as in, if it weren't there, the result would be different.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.