nat for multihomed network

Here's my second stab at this question. Hopefully this attempt is clearer.

We have a 1700 with multiple internet links with different ISPs, different public blocks - NO BGP! Is there a way to configure multiple ip nat pools and ip nat inside source commands using the same inside source acl to work in a primary/backup scenario? Or perhaps something else in the IOS that does this transparently?

This document seems to imply a solution for this scenario but only gives a vague reference to the NAT part.

formatting link
then there's this
formatting link
Is Cisco OER dependent on the fact the user must have a routable block of addresses that can be routed through n+1 providers (n>0) or can Cisco OER still work if my internal addresses are not publicly routable blocks? A. Network Address Translation (NAT) can be used to influence outbound traffic using PBR or some special redirect filters. However, Cisco OER

1.0 is independent of NAT and the management of routable blocks of ISP addresses. Cisco OER does not change or affect NAT because it changes the exit after all the translating occurs. Cisco OER 1.0 does not assume or depend on any NAT capability.

But, we're not looking to use NAT in conjunction with PBR routing, just in conjunction with load balancing or OER over both links if possible, or at least with the secondary link if the primary goes down for internet traffic.

Thanks

Reply to
linguafr
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Nice feature, I wonder what that feature actually costs: Do you know what feature set is needed ?

This makes good sense: OER is a route decision feature, and has nothing to do with NAT. So one may ask yourselfs, does NAT gets proceessed before or after a route decision ? Also : If I what to run NAT with multiple interface, can I the nhave one Nat inside interface along with two "nat outside" ? Then figure out the route map along with NAT.

HTH Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

So, is the answer that the routing decision is made before the translation? Therefore, if the interface associated with the lowest cost default route goes down, the next available best route and associated nat pool cmd will be used? Remember I don't need pbr, I'm just looking for backup internet/default route(s).

something like this?

ip route 0 0 s0 ip route 0 0 s1 100 ip route 0 0 s2 200

ip nat pool s0 ip nat pool s1 ip nat pool s2

ip nat inside source list lan pool s0 ip nat inside source list lan pool s1 ip nat inside source list lan pool s2

Reply to
linguafr

Hi Linguafr,

If you want to do NAT especially with Multiple ISP with No BGP, then the answer is Yes. I have done a similar configuration and it is working perfectly fine with loadbalancing and smooth failover. This is exactly wat I have done in there.

Scenario: I have dual ISP. I have configured Route map to track the default route available in the route table and this route map is used to define the NAT statement. As shown below

Default route configuration:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 50

Route Map Configuration:

access-list 2 permit access-list 3 permit

route-map ISP1 permit 10 match ip next-hop 3 ! route-map ISP1-Fallbac permit 10 match ip next-hop 2 ! route-map ISP2 permit 10 match ip next-hop 2

Nat Configuration:

ip nat inside source route-map ISP1-Fallbac interface overload ip nat inside source route-map ISP1 interface overload ip nat inside source route-map ISP2 interface overload

Hope this fixes your issue

Ganesh

l> So, is the answer that the routing decision is made before the

Reply to
Ganesh

Hi Ganesh - Thanks for the suggestions. Excuse my ignorance regarding the details. Some questions -

The route-map match clause looks for routes that contain the gateway address? If so, then why are you matching on acl 3 for route-map ISP1 and acl2 for route-map ISP2? And why do you need a third route-map ISP1-Fallback?

Thanks

What IOS image are you running? Is this accomplishing the same thing as is described here..

formatting link
thank you.

Ganesh wrote:

Reply to
linguafr

Hi Linguafr,

Route Map actually tracks the next hop ip address this is derived from the routing table. Route Map is configured with a Standard ACL to identify the next hop IP based on which the router comes to know which ISP the packet is heading to and does a nat accordingly. the Third Route Map is a fall back from secondary to primary. It is useful in a load balancing scenario. With this, there is a primary to secondary fall back and also from secondary to primary. In our scenario we were routing priviledged users through secondary and in the event of this link going down the users were automatically routed through normal primary line.

We are using IOS 12.4 Mainline and we are achieving exactly what i have described here.

Thanks,

Ganesh

l> Hi Ganesh -

formatting link

Reply to
Ganesh

formatting link
>

It's routing then NAT. There is a NAT order of operations document on cco.

The NAT issue that you are concerned about is not something to worry about. It all just works nicely.

All the router cares about is:- Is the traffic passing from a nat inside to a nat outside. No - don't do nat. Yes - check for matching "ip nat" statements

Ganesh's example is not doing policy based routing, which you may be implying. The route-maps are being used for a different purpose here. Just to select an appropriate "ip nat inside" statement.

BTW - but don't go there for a couple of years unless you /need/ it: even this has been dispensed with recently.

int x ip nat enable The "ip nat" statement is different too. This does NOT presently support Route Maps.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.