Multilink 3 x PR ISDNs

Can I multilink three primary rate isdn lines to give me one single

6mbs circuit into an 3700 router? If I can the next question is how can this be achieved for inward and outbound traffic? Inbound traffic will hit the first ISDN line (e.g. phone number 1199911); assuming they use all channels on this how can the second ISDN line be activated (e.g. phone number 2299922)?Similarily, how is the third lot of channels (on phone number 3399933) brought up?

- or do I need some kind of multiplexer to merge the three 2mblines into a single 6mb? If so what interface module do I need in the router (I assume an E1 only goes to 2mb) TIA, Ned

Reply to
Ned
Loading thread data ...

Hi Ned,

~ Can I multilink three primary rate isdn lines to give me one single ~ 6mbs circuit into an 3700 router?

In other words: you want to have 3 30B+D ISDN E1s coming into a 37xx router, and you want to put all 90 B channels into a single multilink PPP bundle.

The answer is, yes, you can do this in most versions of IOS, which have a limit of 255 member links per MLPPP bundle. (Versions from

12.2(13)T thru 12.3(7.8)* only allow 64 links in a bundle.)

I have heard of customers who have successfully bundled three or four E1 PRIs into a single MLPPP bundle.

~ If I can the next question is how can this be achieved for inward and ~ outbound traffic? Inbound traffic will hit the first ISDN line (e.g. ~ phone number 1199911); assuming they use all channels on this how can ~ the second ISDN line be activated (e.g. phone number ~ 2299922)?Similarily, how is the third lot of channels (on phone number ~ 3399933) brought up?

I would use dialer profiles on each side, something like this:

interface dialer 1 encaps ppp dialer pool 1 dialer remote-name OTHERROUTER ppp authentication chap dialer string 1199911 dialer string 2299922 dialer string 3399933 dialer rotor best

interface ser0:23 encaps ppp ppp authentication chap dialer pool-member 1 inteface ser1:23 encaps ppp ppp authentication chap dialer pool-member 1

etc.

Here's an example using multiple BRIs, but multiple PRIs are pretty much the same:

formatting link
~ - or do I need some kind of multiplexer to merge the three 2mblines ~ into a single 6mb? If so what interface module do I need in the router ~ (I assume an E1 only goes to 2mb) ~ TIA, Ned

I would get two NM-*CE1*s for the 37xx.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

formatting link

Fine advice from Aaron.

"dialer load-threshold 1 either"

By default this will only bring up new lines as the load demands it. With the default settings it will take a /while/ time to bring up all the lines.

There is a command that brings them all up at once at the start If you can't find it I will have a look. Clearly this will cost more.

IIRC - You need to also consider (well did anyway a while back) the rate at which the telco can accept calls.

The load used by the load-threshold is by default computed using an exponential weighted average with a time constnt of 5 minutes. this takes some account of traffic gong back say 20 minutes. You should investigate this behaviour if you do not want to bring up all the lines at once.

int x load-interval 30

BTW - Dedicated hardware for this job does exist.

I believe that the router will be OK.

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
>

Reply to
Ned

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.