Mapping drives through IPSec VPN

I have a site-to-site network connection configured with an ISA 2004 server on one end and a Cisco PIX firewall on the other end. I'm allowing all communication through the ISA server to the PIX VPN. I can remote desktop to computers on the VPN, but I cannot map to shared drives.

Is there another protocol I need to allow on the PIX side in order to map the drives?

Thanks, John

Reply to
docjohnboy
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I have a site-to-site network connection configured with an ISA 2004 :server on one end and a Cisco PIX firewall on the other end. I'm :allowing all communication through the ISA server to the PIX VPN. I can :remote desktop to computers on the VPN, but I cannot map to shared :drives.

:Is there another protocol I need to allow on the PIX side in order to :map the drives?

How are you mapping? If you are mapping by name then you need a WINS server, or your systems have to have been configured to do DNS resolution on the names (and the names have to be in your DNS server.)

The process of locating a system by name normally depends upon broadcast packets, and broadcasts don't pass through Layer 3.

If you happened to be running PIX 7.0 on both sides then you could configure a layer 2 "transparent" VPN. I haven't looked at how that is implemented (L2TP maybe?)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

:How are you mapping? I am mapping by IP.

Reply to
docjohnboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.