Keeping a site to site tunnel up indefinitely

`Assuming links are good on both sides, is there a way to keep a site to site vpn tunnel up at all times even when no actual traffic is being sent across? aside from doing a ocntinuous ping. :(

Reply to
psychogenic
Loading thread data ...

It depends on the equipment (and software rev). Some allow you to set keep-alives, others don't.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

This is between a 2600 router and ASA 5510.

Reply to
psychogenic

The following might help:

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

formatting link
That is interersting, thanks.

It's not clear what the OP is looking for. This does not keep the SA's up.

There are seceral tools that might be used to persuate a router to generate periodic traffic.

NTP

1. ## ntp server some.address.across.vpn don't point it at an actual server as ntp sends little traffic one it is happy.

1. Create GRE tunnel interfaces and point them across the vpn, enable keepalives with the desired interval.

2. ## This one is the most official but I think needs certain feature set. Use SAA to send traffic, say pings, to real or non-existant hosts across vpn.

1. ## wouldn't fancy this one much. bgp peer would do too.

2. I think certain feature sets have "cron". Schedule pings.
Reply to
Bod43

What's happening is that we are performing dns zone transfers daily between us and a remote site in Europe and it looks like it fails every night. Our suspicion is that the tunnel comes down every night (due to non-existant traffic) and since the dns server only sends a short and brief broadcast when it tries to poll another dns server, the tunnel doesn't come up fast enough for it to pick up again. :(

Reply to
psychogenic

If that is the case, just increase your tunnel lifetimes.

DNS Zone transfer is entirely by TCP. I'm not aware of any broadcast (UDP) being done to check to see if the DNS server is up, but I can't say that I've ever looked for that in the traces.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

What do you all think about this?

rtr 1 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho [destip] source-ipaddr [localip] request-data-size 64 timeout 3000 frequency 60 hours-of-statistics-kept 25 rtr schedule 1 life forever start-time now

I guess this might work better than me having to create a bat file that does ping remoteip -t

Reply to
psychogenic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.