ISP managed Cisco 1720 break disabled?

I have a Cisco 1720 which was previously managed by an ISP and I do not have any passwords for the box. I have tried to send the break sequence in the first 20-30 seconds of booting up using both hyperterminal and teraterm. I have also tried the hitting the space bar trick for 10-15 seconds while connected at 1200 baud. I have used the break key plenty of times from this machine before. Nothing is working.

Could it be that the ISP permanently disabled break'ing into ROMMON? It sounds far-fetched that this is possible, but I am at my wits end.

Thank you for any ideas you may have.

Reply to
SJ
Loading thread data ...

I recently had an interview with an ISP and they said they did this as a matter of course. I've no info on it though. Could you change the flash memory?

Reply to
John Smith

Its possible to do, but most consultants/ISPs that I've dealt with wouldn't do so (well, probably most that I've met don't know about undocumented commands such as this either).

Of course, there's also some weird people out there that do things to annoy the hell out of their own customers if they try to leave, burn all the bridges and be way vengeful for leaving.

I believe that people have said that they've resorted to some tricks to get around it, but I don't know what they've had to do. The most straight forward would be to find the config Flash chip and replace it/reprogram it, but that takes a surface mount solder station usually, the config is stored on a seperate chip than the file system flash.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Re-programming chips? Soldering? Sigh....I guess I basically have a useless 1720 if the ISP made this hardware change.

I have to see if I can find replacement flash and try to replace it.

Thank you for the help!

Reply to
SJ

Search groupstudy.com on how you *may* be able to overcome this.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

I popped out the flash and booted the router. Since the router couldn't find the flash card, it went right into rommon. I changed the config register and was able to change the password.

It was all too easy. Thank you all for the help and sorry for not figuring that out myself.

Reply to
SJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.