Is there a market for an open source router?

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

wrote on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 19:58:08 +0100 :

AFAICT, Cisco. Google coughed up

formatting link
which might be relevant. Pricey beast.

Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine
Loading thread data ...

Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

Oh I see. He's talking about /buying/ a /product/.

For a minute there I thought he was implying that implementing SPI technology in general required some kind of patent licensing.

Reply to
Homer

There certainly is a market. Not for me, though. It seems like i'm the only person in the world that wants various features from my routers. It doesn't seem too much to ask.

What I want:

1) Multi-wan support with failover only (not load-balancing with failover) 2) Transparent DMZ support (bridging) 3) Many:1 NAT support 4) 1:1 NAT support 5) All of the above at the same time (meaning some addresses mapped 1:!, some many:1, some bridged) and this *is* possible, i've done it on commercial routers. 6) Source Based Routing 7) SIP/RTP Proxy functioality (that works with the failover)

I have yet to find a single open source Firewall/router that supports all these features. I don't even care if it has a nice GUI (though that would be nice).

Routers like ipcop and smoothwall express don't do bridging (though the commercial smoothwall does, but firewall vendors nickel and dime you to death. I don't mind buying, but i want it to be a one-time cost).

I have yet to find an open source router that does SIP/RTP proxying (though with some you could hack it in if you wanted). I'm looking for something that just does this out of the box (so to speak) without having to piece it together.

Reply to
Erik Funkenbusch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.