investments - Riverbed & Aruba

wonder about any comments or observations about these two tech companies that have IPO'd as financial/stock investments ?

Riverbed (RVBD) for WAN acceleration and Aruba (ARUN) for wireless networks

A few years back we were looking at Packeteer, but never jumped on board with any acceleration. Also - happen to go to a seminar presented by Aruba and they looked good.

Reply to
P.Schuman
Loading thread data ...

received this note from a CFO friend at an engineering firm

We actually tested the Riverbed accelerators between our AAA, BBB, and CCC offices. We were pulling very large CAD files, and the time savings was huge. It took seconds to retrieve a file rather than 5-10 minutes per file. We are in the process of working out an agreement with Cisco to test their equipment next. As I understand it, the biggest disadvantage with the Riverbed product is that it actually carves out a tunnel in the T-1 line for the information to pass through. This could be an issue if we decide to go to VOIP for our voice communications. The possibility exists that the voice quality would be severely affected by the Riverbed product. However, the Cisco product works differently and it does not create this problem.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Hello, P.Schuman! You wrote on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:18:22 GMT: ??>>

P> received this note from a CFO friend at an engineering firm ??>>

P> We actually tested the Riverbed accelerators between our AAA, P> BBB, and CCC offices. We were pulling very large CAD files, P> and the time savings was huge. It took seconds to retrieve a file P> rather than 5-10 minutes per file. We are in the process of P> working out an agreement with Cisco to test their equipment next. P> As I understand it, the biggest disadvantage with the Riverbed P> product is that it actually carves out a tunnel in the T-1 line P> for the information to pass through. This could be an issue if we P> decide to go to VOIP for our voice communications. The P> possibility exists that the voice quality would be severely P> affected by the Riverbed product. However, the Cisco product P> works differently and it does not create this problem.

My guess would be that your friend talked to Cisco already :-) Unless I'm missing something, this whole "tunnel" vs "non-tunnel" issue doesn't exist. First of all voice wouldn't get affected at all either with Riverbed or Cisco (given correctly configured QoS policy). Second - I'm not sure if there is any benefit in absence of the tunnel.

With best regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.