Image file question or Router fault

Hi,

I currently have a T1 internet with a cisco 1720 router, and it is working perfectly. I got a spare 2610 cisco router recently and I configured it exactly like the 1720 router just for backup, but it didn't work. I tried to change a different CSU/DSU module but no luck. Could it be a router fault, how can I check? Does it matter what version of the flash the router is running or is there a specific compiled of a flash that won't work for a T1 internet line?

This is name of the flash c2600-is-mz_120-7_T.bin

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Alan Siu
Loading thread data ...

Most likely its a configuration issue. If you got the image working on the router, and it boots without errors, then you'll be set on the hardware level. Cisco has been doing T1s for at least 15 years. The most basic code revs are going to be able to handle T1.

First off, define "doesn't work". Did the T1 not come up? Line protocol not come up? Configuration couldn't go in? Interfaces didn't get a 'no shut' done on them?

Are you using the proper hardware modules? Using WIC-1DSU-T1s on both? No errors upon boot about unknown hardware devices?

Does the configuration match line for line in both? There's no 'shutdown' on the interfaces on the spare one?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Just to add to the last, if by didn't work you mean you couldn't get to the internet it could be that the switch on the inside of the router needs to have it's arp cache cleared...depends on how you tested it. if you just tried to get to the internet from the inside this could be the problem. The swithc could be confused about who it is talking to. The IPs are the same but the switch communcates with the router on layer 2. if you ever implement this router in a pinch and you plug it into a switch, reboot the switch or "clear arp". just a thought.

Reply to
Steven B

Yes, all I want is an internet connection. All the interface have "no shutdown" configured, and I did reboot the switch after switching the router. I did send a copy of my startup-config to the tech support with my ISP and they confirmed that all the setting are correct, and it could be a corrupt flash image? Could a corrupt image boot the router successfully? There is no AL light on, only the green CD light and that signals the connection is good.

Reply to
Alan Siu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.