Designing for MDU?

Hello all,

I have been charged with the task of designing a data network for a newly constructed Multi Dwelling Unit (MDU). I'm just beginning my research, googling around and whatnot. I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations both in terms of design, equipment, and resource references.

There will be about 200 units. I need to provide each unit with a capped amount of network data (ie, 1 Mbps down, 128k up) and a seperate data network for VoIP.

Questions:

1. Can anybody provide URL references that might be helpful?

1. What is the best way to do the rate limiting? If each unit will be on its own Vlan segment, I imagine that would be it. Is that done on the router then or the switch? I am unfamiliar with setting up rate limiting..

2. What I need most is recommendations for types of routers/switches I should be looking at. I have no idea which devices are capable of providing the services I require.

If I have been too vague here describing what I am trying to do, please tell me so and I will attempt to provide more information. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Dan

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.