css11000 and ftp failover

I have a customer whos using a Cisco CSS11000 for http and ftp. They have two servers, one of which is production, the other which is a staging area for production. Basically when the staging server is set up and tested, they flip production over to that server by renaming the text file the 11000 looks for. Their customers use the FQDN that points at the load balancer for HTTP.

The problem I'm having is that when the flip over servers, they also want to flip over FTP as they have a customer who sends them a file every night using the 11000 address (right now FTP just points to a specific server and I manually change where it points when they ask me to).

They have some thoughts on doing this at a server level (servers run wuftpd on FC4) or via DNS change but ideally it would be great just to use the 11000 to do this.

Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
RobR
Loading thread data ...

So you must have your web servers setup so that they don't necessarily load balance. Your staging server is being used only when the primary is deemed to be down. Why don't you setup your ftp servers similarly, but for the ftp "service" that you configure create a keepalive that watches the same file that is used to "flip over" your web servers.

========

The problem I'm having is that when the flip over servers, they also want to flip over FTP as they have a customer who sends them a file every night using the 11000 address (right now FTP just points to a specific server and I manually change where it points when they ask me to).

Reply to
Kevin Widner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.