Client Gateway Address in DHCP - Router or Firewall?

We had our Client PCs Gateway address defined as the core router that connected all of the remote offices together.

Now we are using the internet and VPN to connect remote offices, the Core Router is still there and only connects 1 other office.

Should I change the Default Gateway to be the PIX, or should I leave it set to the router? Seems like it would eliminate 1 hop, as most of the traffic is the internet and or the other offices.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend
Loading thread data ...

I would think that it should be the device that is on the same subnet as the PC's.

I do not know if the PIX supports proxy-arp, but if you are using that then I would highly recommend you eliminate it.

Reply to
Merv

The PIX's internal Interfaces on the same subnet as the core router. So they are both on the same subnet. The Core router's Default gateway is the PIX, since its the connection to the internet.

I was using the router as the Default gateway before as it was the guy who knew where are the other subnets were dynamically and was connected to them.

Now that we only have a few subnet and most are connected via VPN. I was thinking about just routing all the clients to the PIX.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

If you use the PIX then the traffic from the client must be outbound only as the PIX will not hairpin turn a packet. You may end of having a loss of connectivity if you use the PIX as a default gateway

You are probably better off leaving it the way it is

Reply to
Merv

Great, thank you!

Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.