Cisco PIX 506 Limitations

I have a client whos websites get about 5000 - 6000 unique sessions/day.

Would a 506 be fine to use as protection for the webserver farm ?

Thanks

Eric

Reply to
Eric Elliston
Loading thread data ...

In article , Eric Elliston wrote: :I have a client whos websites get about 5000 - 6000 unique sessions/day.

:Would a 506 be fine to use as protection for the webserver farm ?

5000-6000 sessions per day is not very much, not unless each session involves a lot of files. If you are not doing VPNs, then even a 501 would handle that volume with little difficulty, and the 501 is rated to 60 megabits per second of clear-text.

You should define, though, what kind of protections you want. The PIX line does not, for example, have an integrated virus checker.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 506, not unless I wandered across a refurb one at a great price. Low volumes / low host counts can be handled by a 501; after that you might as well go directly to the 506E. If you need the many of the new features of PIX 7.0 or do not want to wait for it to be eventually down-ported to the 501/506/506E, then go for a 515E.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.