Cisco 1600 with adaptive WAN speed

I have a customer with a Cisco 1600 series router that is tied to a channel bank via a serial interface.

The phone company has sold the customer a T-1 circuit for use with voice and data. NOT a VOIP setup.

In addition, they told the customer that if no voice calls were in use, they would have a full 1.544Mbps data connection. Furthermore, as voice calls were made the data rate would seamlessly decrease in increments of 64Kbps.

I am not an expert at this so I ask those who are, is this pie in the sky or can it be done? With a Cisco 1600? Due to the age of the router I suspect an IOS of 12.1 or less and probably just basic ip.

The customer says his data rate is far worse than before..

TIA Digital Doug

Reply to
Houston SBC
Loading thread data ...

~ I have a customer with a Cisco 1600 series router that is tied to a channel ~ bank via a serial interface. ~ ~ The phone company has sold the customer a T-1 circuit for use with voice and ~ data. NOT a VOIP setup. ~ ~ In addition, they told the customer that if no voice calls were in use, they ~ would have a full 1.544Mbps data connection. ~ Furthermore, as voice calls were made the data rate would seamlessly ~ decrease in increments of 64Kbps.

I've never heard of a channel bank that could do anything like this. Sounds like someone's blowing smoke, and strong smoke at that.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.