Cascading rule?

Hello,

It has been ages since I've worried about it and now I've forgotten the rules. If I have an bunch of unmanaged switches, do I need to worry about the cascading rule

I have 5 switches in a server room and 1 in a closet.

I believe the current environment is - Switch 1 links to Switch 2,3,4,5 and 6 - no other connections between the switches.

This may be antiquated hub thinking that is no longer applicable. It has been a while since I've seen so many ports on an unmanaged backbone.

Thanks

Reply to
Boe
Loading thread data ...

For Ethernet , I believe it was 4 repeating hubs that could be daisy-chained together

Reply to
Merv

Are you able to check whether any interface errors are occuring?

How many ports on each switch / total devices connected ?

Make and model of switches?

Reply to
Merv

They are unmanaged switches.

There are 24 ports per switch.

They are nearly all full.

Reply to
Boe

Well having over 100+ devices connected without any management visibility is probably not a good thing.

Personally I would look to have at least one managed layer 3 switch to partition your network into samller subnets and to provide some traffic visisbility.

NetGear sells these types of switches (i.e. like FSM7326P)

Reply to
Merv

Thanks

I have no issue with that statement but there is no money in our budget so we have to make sure what we have is OK.

Anyone know if the cascade rule applies to switches?

Reply to
Boe

The cascading rule does not apply to Ethernet switches connected back to back as each Ethernet port is in a a sepate collision domain.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.