C3640 VLAN Trunk

My 3640 series router running 12.4 Firewall feature set no encryption (c3640-io3-mz.124-1a.) does not have the command encapsulation associated with Fastethernet interfaces is there some way around this. I can't figure out how to trunk my switch to it.

Any help greatly appreciated

Reply to
Mark St Laurent
Loading thread data ...

In article , Mark St Laurent wrote: :My 3640 series router running 12.4 Firewall feature set no encryption :(c3640-io3-mz.124-1a.) does not have the command encapsulation associated :with Fastethernet interfaces is there some way around this.

I'm not sure that it was necessary to post your question 3 times?

:I can't figure :out how to trunk my switch to it.

It doesn't support VLANs at all, so you aren't going to be able to trunk your switch to it. Not without upgrading the software.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Sorry for the excessive posts waited about half an hour didn't see the post so started new topic. In this situation would adding additional fastethernet port on router and configuing ip address of proposed vlan2 then plugging into static assigned VLAN2 port on switch solve problem.

Reply to
stormrunner

In article , stormrunner wrote: :In this situation would adding additional fastethernet port on router and :configuing ip address of proposed vlan2 then plugging into static assigned :VLAN2 port on switch solve problem.

The problem you have defined to us is to "trunk" your 3640 to your switch. No number of additional physical interfaces you add to the

3640 will allow you to do that without changing your feature set on your 3640.

If trunking is your proposed -solution- to a problem, rather than the problem itself, then before we can tell you whether any particular technique will solve the problem, you'll have to tell us what the problem -is-.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The problem would be, once VLAN2 is active how to pass traffic to the internet or adjacent segments through the router, is trunking the only way?

Reply to
Mark St Laurent

A little experimentation confirmed this is definately doable, only tried from one switch. Set ports Switch1, 18, 19 to static VLAN2, then configured C3640 fa 0/1 ip to intended network @ 192.168.2.253 set nat inside and created additional overload to C3640 external interface. Laptop connected to Switch1 18 does NAT to the internet and (until I modify with access rule) see adjacent network. I am aware that just because something works, does not mean its correct. On the off chance that this is an accepted practice it is centainly cheaper to purchase ethernet switch port module for router than upgrading flash, dram, and IOS. Question now is what, if any, are caveats related to this configuration. Any response greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
stormrunner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.