Broadcasting from printers?

The company I work at has decided to put printers on separate VLANs to cut down 'broadcasts' I'm a bit perplexed about this: the printers are almost 100% HP Jetdirect many using DHCP settings. I would assume that the only time a broadcast would occur would be when renewing an IP lease. Other protocols are swiched off (IPX etc)

Comments appreciated---does this make sense? Is the added support overhead worth it? The switches are 6500 series Cisco

Reply to
Blue Frog
Loading thread data ...

In my experience, you get more traffic to the printers from the SNMP polling that hosts do in order to check active jobs, whether the printer is out of paper, and so on. That -seems- to be integrated into the print driver.

I have seen some broadcasts from HP printers, but nothing worth paying attention to compared to regular netbios broadcasts from everything else.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.