Best Hardware To Connect Two Private Networks

I need to connect two office suites that are located in the same building, less than 100 meters apart. Both suites have address schemes of 192.168.0.x. Both suites have a managed switch (Netgear FSM726). These switches do not appear to have VLAN capabilities. There are about 35 devices on each side. It seems to me that changing one side to 192.168.1.x and placing a router between the two sites is the way to go, but I have never done anything like this before.

Is there some better, easier, more secure way of connecting these two sites than using a router? I know that a layer 3 switch could be used, but read this would not support a WAN port, which may be needed in the future. If a router or layer 3 switch is the way to go any thoughts on make/model?

If I need to supply more information, please ask away!

Thanks for any help, Chris

Reply to
christopher.crn
Loading thread data ...

the important bit here is missing - what are you trying to achieve?

do you need to keep the 2 networks separate at all?

if not, just Cat 5 or fibre between the 2 switches and you have a link. the main complication after that is making sure any servers etc do not have address clashes, and only running 1 copy of DHCP.

or - if they need to maintain separate networks (ie you need to be able to split the sites again later maybe), then that is different.

layer 3 switch.

entry level Cisco would be a Cat 3560, or a few other choices.

Reply to
stephen

I would like to have connectity between the networks and be able to use computer names to locate computers from either side. On the other hand I want packets to stay on thier own side of the fence unless they need to cross to the other side (ie No Broadcast).

Thanks, I will take a look at this model..

Reply to
christopher.crn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.