BBSM ARP problem

Can anyone help shed light on this?

We have a BBSM (5.3) that clients connect to via wireless access points. It has a DHCP pool of 51 addresses (192.168.2.100 to 150).

When laptop 1 connects it gets an IP address 192.168.2.100, and is able to ping the BBSM. If it releases the IP address (ipconfig / release) the DHCP lease is removed on the BBSM. That works correctly.

If laptop 2 now connects it gets the same IP address as above (192.168.2.100) but is unable to ping the BBSM. The ARP table on the BBSM isn't being updated with the new MAC address which I assumed to be the problem. However, if I add a static ARP record for

192.168.2.100 to laptop 2's MAC address it still isn't able to ping the BBSM.

It seems that after 4-6 minutes laptop 2 can then ping the BBSM (whether i've added the static ARP or not), but adjusting ARP cache timeouts doesn't seem to change this. I changed the timeout to 1 minute (in the registry) but it still took 4-6 minutes to start being able to ping.

Pinging from the BBSM to 192.168.2.100 also doesn't work until after the 4-6 minutes.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to why this is behaving this way, or how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance, Toby.

Reply to
mkkbb
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.