Backup Int help

Hi All,

I have a working config on a remote office 1701 right now. I plan to move the adsl wic to a new 1841 and use it as a backup. assuming the dialer0 is setup correctly and I am adding a two port T1 wic for bonding two T1's, can I use the following config? I was unsure if you could use CEF to bond two T's and still use the backup int command.

ip cef ! ! interface Serial0/0 ip address 1.1.1.10 255.255.255.252 backup delay 10 30 backup interface Dialer0 no ip directed-broadcast ip load-sharing per-packet no ip mroute-cache service-module t1 timeslots 1-24 ! interface Serial0/1 ip address 1.1.1.14 255.255.255.252 backup delay 10 30 backup interface Dialer0 no ip directed-broadcast ip load-sharing per-packet no ip mroute-cache service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 200

TIA,

R
Reply to
rhltechie
Loading thread data ...

CEF does not "bond" interfaces.

It will load-balancing per destination over equal-cost multiple-paths (ECMP).

You may wish to take look at MLPPP with respect to its load-balancing capabilities as it may provide improved load-balancing over CEF depending on the source-destination prefixes being used in your network.

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for the reply. I checked on MLPPP, it is not generally available without some major red tape. I understand the technology, sorry for the terminology mix up with bonding and load balancing. Will either work with the backup int command?

Reply to
rhltechie

I am not sure about two T1 interfaces and the backup command.

You need to consider the sitatuion where only 1 T1 goes down, you probably do not want to use the backup interface in that case ...

Take a look at using the dialer watch feature to trigger the dial interface only when both T1 go away

Reply to
Merv

hmm, yeah I didnt even think about that. Thanks for the info. I have done some light reading on the dialer watch feature.

Thanks!

Reply to
rhltechie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.