Advanced Reporting and Usage information.

I have recently changed over from a Watchguard firewall to a Cisco PIX

525 and am looking at obtaining more detailed information from the PIX. With WatchGuard I could instantly see what IP address are connected to the outside in a nice graphical chart. With the Cisco it seems I can't see that, I can only look though the syslogs and look for the connections. I do have Cisco Works and have been feeding the logs to it but only Warnings and higher, not all the informational information. Are there any good reporting utilities for Cisco out there? Free is good but if it is good a moderate price would be acceptable.

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
r_elder
Loading thread data ...

Hi Rick,

You may wish to investigate the Altair Technologies FireGen for PIX Log Analyzer 2.0:

formatting link
Features

formatting link
FAQ

formatting link
"sample" firewall log analysis

formatting link
Sample configuration analysis report

formatting link
Sample IP Forensics analysis report

formatting link
Log Monitoring

formatting link
Firewall log analyzer developed by firewall administrators.

Its purpose is to replicate the steps that a "real world" firewall administrator would take in analyzing firewall logs.

It helps you consolidating the messages recorded by the firewall, filter these messages, quickly obtain information about protocols, IP addresses or hosts listed in the logs.

It also links to our central database with the latest information about various types of messages generated by the firewall.

FireGen for PIX supports logs from the Cisco PIX/FWSM/ASA* firewalls version 5.x, 6.3.x and 7.x.

As a beta implementation, FireGen supports logs from Cisco routers (using Kiwi or WinSyslog syslog server logs).

The FireGen for PIX configuration analysis engine supports config files from the Cisco PIX/FWSM* firewalls version 6.x.

"Wow! Finally a no-nonsense log analyzer for those interested in what's happening in their logs!" - Marius Mocanu, CISSP

"I was very happy to find FireGen. While my customers typically use the likes of CiscoWorks VMS, netForensics, etc., some of them could also get good use out of FireGen for quick looks into what's going on on an individual PIX. I love the way it's so light-weight, fast, and self-contained." - Anonymous,CCIE,CISSP

"FireGen has saved so much time and money. I can nail down issues in minutes rather then days. I read the logs from all 3 PIX firewalls everyday looking for anomalies. It's the best product we got, it never fails. We are parsing 600Meg - 1Gig log files every night with this and it rocks." - Ryan Jacobson, Senior Network Engineer

"I did not have much experience with firewall log interpreters, but FireGen worked very well for me. In a short time, I managed to isolate and repair firewall issues with the help of the reports generated by FireGen." - Victor Terblanche, CEO, Daily Tenders

"I think your product is outstanding. Every morning, I have two emails waiting for me. One for the Event Logs (MoniLog), and the other for the PIX logs (FireGen). I recommend you guys every chance I get. You make my life MUCH easier." - Eric B. Rux, Information Systems Manager, Microsoft MVP, Pearson Packaging Systems

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.