About DHCP

nope, the address should be free inmediately (if your client is educated and released really the ip with an dhcp release).

Sami wrote:

Reply to
<Anthrax>
Loading thread data ...

Contrary to what all people believe windows client not always send the dhcp release packet to the server (or it could be malformed). it would be great if you have a chance to sniffer the media and look the real packet. Alternatevely what the DHCP debugs show? does the switch/router gets the release?

Sami wrote:

Reply to
<Anthrax>

Hi,

If a computer that has got an IP address from DHCP server (Cisco 2600 router) releases its IP address, is that same IP address immediately free for another computer to get in the same network or is there a DHCP cache in the server that holds that address for a period of time?

-Sami R

Reply to
Sami

Hi,

the client is a PC with windows 2000. The IP release is done with ipconfig/release -command.

Reply to
Sami

Hi,

Ethereal Sniffer log shows a DHCP release transaction when ipconfig/release command is executed.

-Sami

Reply to
Sami

Reply to
Anthrax

Reply to
Anthrax

Actually my workmate was asking me this because he released the IP from one computer and then he tried to get it with another but the other computer didn't get any address. So I thought that maybe the router holds the address for a period of time.

Reply to
Sami

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.