2924 Different Versions - I'm looking for a photo of the old one!

Hello All,

I am sure most of you are aware of the two different batches of Cisco 2924 switches...

The first initial batch of the 2924 switch was released with only 4meg of DRAM, but Cisco later released the EXACT same switch but with 8meg of DRAM and support for Trunk ports. Both had EXACTLY the same model number, so for listing purposes you would not know the difference!! More information can be found here ...

formatting link
I learnt this the hard way on ebay and found the old 4mb version is not very easy to shift. I would now like to write a little tutorial explaining the difference between the two 4mb and 8mb versions and place it as a little help on my website ...
formatting link
There are a few different ways to tell the two models apart. One big difference is the unit size, the older

4mb version is bigger, another way to tell is the port numbering is either embossed (4mb) or printed in yellow (8mb).

This is my question! Does anyone have a 4mb 2924 version with embossed port numbers, If so would you be willing to take a good quality digital photo of the front of the unit, close up to the port numbers to mach this photo

formatting link
of an 8mb version (as close a match as can be). I would like to show a comparison of the two fronts up close to help diferenciate the two models. I would give you credit on my website! :-)

This is some of the information I have so far, if you have anymore to add let me know...

Old 2924 4Meg Version =================

4Mb DRAM Dimensions and Weight (H x W x D) 1.73 x 17.5 x 14.0 in. (4.4 x 44.5 x 33.0 cm) 1 rack unit (RU) high Latest IOS you can put on it is 11.2.8-12(SA6).bin Port numbers are imbossed on front.

switch#sh ver ..... System image file is "flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6.bin", booted via

cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 4096K/640K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 0x07, with hardware revision 0x00 .....

New 2924 8Meg Version =================

8Mb DRAM Dimensions and Weight (H x W x D) 1.73 x 17.5 x 9.79 in. (4.4 x 44.5 x 24.8 cm) 1 rack unit (RU) high 7 lb. (3.2 kg) Port numbers are printed in yellow on the front.

switch#sh ver ..... System image file is "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC11.bin"

cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K bytes of memory. Processor board ID FAB0438U050, with hardware revision 0x01 .....

cheers,

Jim

Reply to
news.ntlworld.com
Loading thread data ...

[snip]

From: Question 78 Date: 02 February 2002 Subject: How do I tell the difference between the different 2900 XL switches? Answer by: Terry Kennedy

And it's even more confusing than that. Older 2900XL M-series had 16 ports and less memory and can't run current software, so it is likely that the Gigabit Ethernet modules wouldn't work in those units.

A handy way to tell if a 2900XL can run current software is to look at the port numbers next to the LED's on the base unit. If the numbers are yellow, it can run current software. If they're white or just etched in the plastic without any color, the switch is stuck running the older software. Note that you have to look at the ports on the base unit - it is possible to have a V-series expansion module with yellow numbers in- stalled in an older M-series switch.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.