10 'show' Commands Everybody Needs in Cisco Routers

Hi all, The title of this message is the title of my latet article about Cisco routers. Please have the time to take a look into it and write me your notes.

10 'show' Commands Everybody Needs in Cisco Routers
formatting link
Thank you in advanced.

Mohammed

Reply to
Mohammed Alani
Loading thread data ...

Routers

formatting link

You should add a comment about the | include, | begin, and | exclude parameters. Nothing is more helpful than a show run | include interface | address | description or a show ip route | including x.x.x.x to find specific routes. Similarly, show run | begin router ospf or whatever is a great way to get directly to the router configs. Show arp | include is how you start the mac finding process for non windows boxes if you don't know ports....very valuable.

I would change show ip interface to show ip interface brief. I rarely use the base command.

show cdp neighbor should be somewhere in there, with the 'show cdp neigh detail' as a follow-up.

Just my two cents.

Reply to
Trendkill

What's wrong with "show run int " or "show ip route w.x.y.z"?

I'll give you that one.

"show ip arp w.x.y.z" or "show ip arp xxxx.xxxx.xxxx", surely.

"show protocol", which seems to have disappeared from newer platforms.

I'll raise you two.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Yeah, nothing is wrong with show ip route w.x.y.z., but if you want to see all routes from a certain next hop, or all routes to x.y.X.X, then that syntax doesn't work....all depends how big your infrastructure is. As for the include/begin stuff, when I have a msfc with 300 vlans, and I need a quick way to see vlan #s, ip addresses, and names, the | include interface | ip address | description .....works like a champ. It just gives you more flexibility than some of the base commands...but I agree with your feedback.

Reply to
Trendkill

I like

Show reload

as that shows me how long I've got before I break something else......

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

I agree about finding routes to a given next hop, but your second example is covered by "show ip route longer-prefixes", and very handy it is too.

Sure - I agree inc/beg/exc are jolly useful, it's just your examples weren't ones I would have used.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Thank you all for the notes guys. I though that 'show run' would cover the whole thing. But being specific would be better. Thank you again for the notes and I will consider adding them to the article.

Mohammed

Reply to
Mohammed Alani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.