Two questions about the IOS's

You may wish to investigate Cisco's IOS Software Selector:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Certified Network Engineer Jobs Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom
Loading thread data ...

I have two questions about the IOS's.

1. Is there some logic to the naming convention syntax of the IOS? If so can you give me a few examples?

1. I understand the version 12 or so of the IOS's comes with its own firewall? Is this true? What version do I need to search for? Is it PIX type of commands?

Thanks.

Reply to
gmanigault

Yes.

I'm sure 2 seconds at your favourite search engine can.

Ish. The normal version have ACL options which will act as a packet filter if that's what you want. If you get an IOS with the Firewall feature set then you also get things like Context Based Access Control, Intrusion detection etc.

You need an IOS that has the Firewall feature set.

I'm not sure I understand the question. A large part of the configuration is similar but there are significant underlying differences.

Reply to
Paul Womar

1. There is a madness to it. Here is a good article that explains it:

formatting link

1. It is different than the pix. Well, it still uses access lists, similar to the pix, but the rest is different. You don't have fixup commands, you have ip inspect. The software will inspect the protocols that you ask it to. Also, it will build access list entries based on traffic that is being generated. Personally, I think it is a decent feature. Here's more info:

formatting link
Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.