Routers for CCNA

Greetings All

Quick question for the folks that have done the CCNA. I have been working in IT and networking for over 10 years and finally decided to get my CCNA with the goal of doing an CCDP and some of the wireless stuff in the future. I want to move to building bigger networks.

I have the chance to get my hands on a couple of routers to build a home lab and practice and was looking for recommendations. I have read a lot of the home lab recommendations but none mention the new

1800 series routers. I can get a 1841-T1 or an 1811/K9. Most seem to recommend the 25xx or 26xx series routers. What are you opinions?

The former has a CSD/DSU for T1 that is of no use to me at this point. From what I have read I the built in ethernet ports are there to replace a WIC-1ENET interface card to give you wan connectivity. Am I correct? The 1811 has a wan ethernet port that can hook up to broadband connectivity. It would be nice to acutally put these to use later on - that is why I ask. However, the 1841 is more modular and I could add modules to it as needed.

Cheers

Jerry

Reply to
PDI
Loading thread data ...

Hi Jerry,

Chris Bryant, CCIE No. 12933 Routing & Switching, has everything you need to know about a Cisco Home Lab:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi Brad

Thanks for your reply. Chris Byrant's site is where I started after I Googled out the topic originally. I was wondering if anyone had any specific comments on these particular routers.

Jerry

Reply to
PDI

Reply to
The Turning Point

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.