On Call Pay for ISPs

Does anyone here work for an ISP ?

I'm wondering about their polices for paying for on call support.

Do employees get compensated for being on call and working weekends ?

Kevin

Reply to
kburns
Loading thread data ...

Only if you get called.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Which country are you in?

In my experience (in Australia and also elsewhere), it depends on how brutal the on-call is as to whether you get compensated for being one call. For example, I had a hideous on call where I had to be net-connected the moment that a call came in, meaning I couldn't go to the movies, drink or really leave the house at all during the one week in 8 for which I was on-call. For this I received 20% of my hourly rate for each on-call hour, then double-time for the period where I actually took calls, paid in 15 minute increments. If I had to go onsite, it was a three-hour minimum.

In the other extreme, I had an oncall where all I had to do was carry a phone, and answer it if it rang. As it was internal, I could drink, as long as I was still sober enough to answer the phone, and a couple of hours of black-out wasn't a problem as long as a rang ahead and advised them. For that I got a bonus of $150 a week that I was oncall, and they paid the mobile phone bill.

So, work out how much you are going to be inconvenienced by the oncall, and from that work out what is a fair thing to you.

Reply to
yamahasw40

snipped-for-privacy@tracemasters.com wrote in news:1127255507.810666.56230 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Right now we are getting FORKED! ! ! no xtra and maybe comp time.

Reply to
Fog Horn

what ISPs do you all work for ???

Reply to
kburns

I get paid $15.00 a day to carry a pager. If I get paged its a 2 hour minimum @time+1/2 + 15% shift differential.

Reply to
rabcar

Mike Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

yep, you got that right on the head Mike! A FORKING joke

Reply to
Fog Horn

Comp time is a joke. Every salaried position I have ever had (6 so far), the cop time was a pipe dream.

Reply to
Mike Smith

I'm in the UK and get GBP278 per month for being on-call for one week in two. I get paid overtime (minimum of half an hour) for any work I do when I'm called out.

I'm a provisioning engineer, so I don't get called out unexpectedly very often, but I and my colleague get the allowance for being available to do out of hours work (I did 10 hours last week).

Robert

Reply to
Robert Smales

I work for an ISP in the UK, I get GB300 per month for just for being on call one week in two, and overtime pay (time-and-a-half Mon-Sat, double time on Sundays) for any work I do while on call.

Robert London, England

Reply to
Robert Smales

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.