EIGRP and IGRP question

Hi, It says in the book that IGRP and EIGRP automatically work together, so I have set my lab up to observe that. IGRP announcements go one way, and EIGRP hellos go the other. Neither take any notice. Same AS (=7). What am I missing?

Richard.

Reply to
Nospa
Loading thread data ...

"Nospa" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Hi,

If IGRP and EIGRP share the same AS number they automatically redistribute their learned routes between them.

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

"Gabriele Beltrame" wrote

yea, that's what it says in the book, but it doesn't. All I did was

Router1(config)# router eigrp 7 Router1(config-route)# network 172.16.0.0 Router1(config-route)# network some-other network-1

Router2(config)# router igrp 7 Router2(config-route)# network 172.16.0.0 Router2(config-route)# network some-other-network-2

and expected the two other-networks to be exchanged, but they weren't. There must be something else I have missed (other than the point).

regards, Richard.

Reply to
Nospa

It's when a router is running an EIGRP process and an IGRP process ... it automatically redistributes routes it learns from EIGRP into IGRP and vice-versa.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

"Nospa" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Hi,

What you're experiencing is normal. No redistribution takes place 'cause there aren't both igrp and eigrp instances running on the same router

Use something like this: ( using sh ip eigrp topology or sh ip route you could see that automatic redistribution takes place )

RouterA router eigrp 1 network 192.168.0.0 no auto-summary

router igrp 1 network 172.16.0.0

RouterB router eigrp 1 network 192.168.0.0 no auto-summary

router igrp 1 network 172.17.0.0

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Ok, I have tried again, according to advice received here.

It says in the book that igrp and eigrp AUTOMATICALLY communicate, BUT ALL YOU SAVE is typing the redistribute

Router1 # router eigrp 7 # redistribute igrp 7

Reply to
Nospa

Your not understand what people trying to say

Router 1 Speaks EIGRP Router 2 speaks IGRP they wont talk to each other

Its like having one Person speaking English and one speaking Chinese they dont understand each other

But if u three

Router 1 - EIGRP Router 2 - EIGRP and IGRP Router 3 - IGRP

Between 1 and 2 is EIGRP Between 2 and 3 is IGRP

But the routes that Router 2 get from Router 3 it will put it in update message to Router 1 via EIGRP and Routers router 2 gets from Router 1 it will send the updates to router 3 in IGRP

Reply to
Blue

"Blue" wrote

Thanks for replying. I understand perfectly what is being said, but I made an unfortunate error in my posting, it should have been

Router in the middle: # router eigrp 7 # redistribute igrp 7

Reply to
Nospa

No one says that eigrp and igp automatically redistributing is fantastic or claims that it's the best piece of code ever written. The books simply say it happens. You're the one making some big deal of it. So what if it only saves you typing a couple of lines of config. No one cares but you.

Guess what? IOS's also have a feature where if you press the TAB key the current word of the command you're typing will auto complete ... even if you only had a single letter left to type. Why not rant and rave about that? That takes patethic to athe next level.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Well, its just the way I read the book, I suppose. It gave the impression that it was a lot more than it turned out to be. I was disappointed that "automatically" didn't mean much. Anyway, this thread started out as a query about how it all worked, and that has now been established. So thanks to all involved parties.

R.

Reply to
Nospa

Thanks. Sorry for attacking you. It was unnecessary and says more about me than it did you.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.