CCNA - VLAN advantages?

I re-read books after books after books and still not sure. I don't want to err on such a simple question, so I ask for the text-book answer.

3 Advantages of VLANS are:

a) Ease of Administration b) Improved Security c) Have hosts situated at geographically diverse locations d) Increase number of Broadcast domains and reduce the size of collision domains.

I say a-b-c, but not sure about (d)

I don't recall any reference to SIZE OF collision domain, but really depends on how one interprets it.

So what's your TEXBOOK answer?

Reply to
tester
Loading thread data ...

Yes, definitely increases BD, but decreases CD I don't like.

Just placing introducing switches decreases CD, adding VLAN on top of that doesn't FURTHER reduces CD.

I read Ease Of Admin as, if u didn't have VLAN, One would have to run long CAT5s from all corners/floors of a building to a specific switch, rather than just having them plug into the closest switch. A little more config up front, but better than manually keep track of oh, Fa0/1 does to JSmith Floor 5, Cubicle 6, Fa0/2 goes to Rmond, Floor 1, Cubicle 2.

Oh boy, I would had prefer an agreement here.

ANYONE ELSE?!!!

Reply to
tester

B, C and D. D is actually the best answer out of them all. In order, D, B, C, A

D, without a doubt increases broadcast and decreases collision domians B, sure does increase security, acl's can protect specifc vlans or you can make them completly private C, geographically, sure you could. 1st floor, 2nd floor etc etc A, Ease of management, this is the worst of the lot. It doesn't make it easy, it makes it more complicated configuration wise. The ease would be knowing that "floor 1" is one specific subnet.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

You are 100% correct. A simple switch port can decrease CD if running in full duplex.

One way I did think of "ease of managment" would be moves. If Joe Shmoe in accounting moved his cube to the third floor it sure as heck does add ease by being able to assign his new data drop to the accounting vlan. So that does qualify the answer.

My line of thinking for the first is way off, I don't know what the heck I was thinking.....duh!

That being said and rethinking it I would say the BEST answer would be B followed by A and C

On a test for a single answer would be B

2 answers would be BA 3 would be BAC

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

I would go with B, C and D A is not correct as then management is going to be harder. You'll have to do the configurations on the switch. Also you gonna need a L3 device for inter-VLAN routing.

Reply to
Saad Ahmed

I would say ABC are correct. A+B+C) My book even states "VLANs provide for location independence. This flexibility makes adds, changes, and moves of networking devices a simple process. It also allows you to group people together, perhaps according to their job function, which also makes implementing your security policies straightforward." McGraw-Hill/Osborne © 2003. Of course in real life this may not be so easy for admins. C) Is true because you can have people in different floors or even different buildings (even states/nations if connected directly, I think......Please Let me know if this is true)

D) Switches already "reduce the size of collision domains." , you don?t need a VLAN on a switch to do that. They do however "Increase number of Broadcast domains" which is probably there primary reason they exist. So I would have to say that D is incorrect or half correct but you never know with tricky questions.

BTW what does the book say. Joshua Delcore

Reply to
Joshua Delcore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.