S-Video to Twisted Pair keystone adapters

I just finished a conference room, wiring from a conference table to a projector on the ceiling and to a plasma on the wall. They did not request S-Video to be run to either location (from the conference table, they do have it to a DVD player under the plasma). But since I found the ICC and Leviton S-Video to cat5 adapter plugs (keystone style), it seemed like an easy addition to through in an S- Vid connection to each location.

Neither connection works.

Anyone used those adapters? (they are direct connections of 4 conductors, not baluns)

Before I go wild trying to troubleshoot I wonder if they have really worked for anyone.

Charles

Reply to
telephonesecurity.com
Loading thread data ...

telephonesecurity.com wrote: (snip on S-video to cat-5)

My first thought is that you really should have baluns. In the case that there was no other ground connection between the two ends, there is a reasonable chance for current to go the right way, but most often there is a ground connection.

Video signals usually have a DC offset, so won't go through a transformer.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

They do make S-Video as well as baseband composite video passive baluns. Never looked inside one though. Should be transformers as no external power is required. Works fine.

In OP's case I think the problem must have been the lengths. S-Video yields the least distance and in this un-balanced version should not have been more than 20-30 feet, if even that. Unless this was done for the benefit of laptop users having S-Video outputs, I would switch to composite video (with RCA connectors) that usually yields 75 ft or more on CAT5E. Both manufacturers make RCA keystone jacks as well.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Don't know if you're just putting the s vid on as an extra or not, however, a higher quality signal will be carried through the VGA or RGB than will an s vid. Since the signal is being displayed on a plasma, a higher grade signal may be desired. Just a thought.

Reply to
scolio

True.

This kind of baluns are typically mede either with a full transformer (75 ohm to 100 ohms) or using or using common mode choke apprach (sometimes called current mode balun, does balacing well at higher frequencies, pass DC, but does not do impedance matching).

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.