Creating a new network with cabling and wall outlets in 2 buildings

Hi everybody,

I am quite new to networking, and I need to set up a network of PCs spread out on two buildings. Building 1 is with 4 floors, and Building 2 with a single floor.

I want the cabling to be based on wall outlets, with one 2-connector outlet at each of the floors in Building 1, except on the top floor where only a single outlet is needed. In building 2 I want one 4-connector outlet (or two

2-connector outlets). I have made a topology diagram below:

Building 1 Building 2

Floor 2 PCs Wall outlets

----- ------- | --- | | |------|| 1 || ------- | --- | ----- | Floor 1 | | ------- ------- --------- | | | | ------- | --- --- | ------- ------- | |------|| 1 | 2 || ------- ------- ------- | --- --- | | | | | --------- ------- ------- | | | Floor 0 | \\ / | \\ / --------- --------\\ /------ ------- | --- --- | | --- --- --- --- | | |------|| 1 | 2 || || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 || ------- | --- --- | | --- --- --- --- | --------- ----------------- | | Basement | | Subnet 192.168.0.0 | | --------- | ------- | --- --- | ------- | |------|| 1 | 2 || ------| | ------- | --- --- | | ------- --------- | | | Subnet 192.168.1.0 | | ----------- --------------- |Cable modem|---|Firewall/Switch| ----------- ---------------

The network should connect to the Internet via a Cable modem and a Firewall/ Switch of the type 3Com® OfficeConnect® VPN Firewall (details can be found on the following link) :

formatting link
Inside the Firewall, the network is equipped with a 3Com® OfficeConnect® Gigabit Switch 5 - described on the following link:

formatting link
Now, the question is: How do I construct this network with the fewest possible cables running - especially between the two buildings? How do I interconnect the wall outlets? Besides the normal STP cables as well as the connectors for the wall outlets, what hardware is needed?

I appreciate any answers. Thanks in advance.

Best regards, L. Hummel, Denmark

Reply to
L. Hummel
Loading thread data ...

For between the buildings, use fiber with an Ethernet switch to drive the station cables. Two cables to each workstation outlet should be the minimum. I recommend 3, one phone, one dedicated to Ethernet and the third that can be used for either voice or data. You never know when you are going to need a second phone line or a networked printer in a space that has its network and phone cables in use. Besides, cable is relatively inexpensive - it is the labor to install, terminate, and test that is the expensive part of any installation.

Oh, for the fiber, a minimum of 6 strands, even if you only use two, you never know when you will need more capacity or have more applications that have to flow between the buildings.

Rodgers Platt

Reply to
Justin Time

Why did you delete the OP question ? There is more and more of this recently all over Usent. I suspect the new verison of some software has this as a default. Nothing personal.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Al,

I didn't delete anything. I just clicked on reply - as I did with your message - using Google Groups.

Reply to
Justin Time

Well, it's not including the message you are responding to and that is not good,

What software are you using ?

Reply to
Al Dykes

Sounds like you need to hire a telecom cabling engineer to design the infrastructure and an appropriately qualified contractor to install it (could be the same person). Any cabling project larger than a couple drops, to be done properly is not a DIY project. Hire a professional, you'll be happier with the results (meaning it might actually work) and you'll only have to pay once to get it done (assuming you go with a quality installer as opposed to the cheapest).

Justin

Reply to
Justin

He's using Google Groups, just incorrectly.

When you want to respond to a message, DON'T hit the Reply link - it is busted for any real Usenet purpose. Instead, hit the 'show options' and select Reply from there.

Reply to
Mike Hunt

Hi all;

I think I got the information I needed - thank you all for your help.

Best regards,

L. Hummel, Denmark

Reply to
L. Hummel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.