Upstream Power hits 51.9dbmv and connection dies...

I'm on Optimum Online and I am having a real weird problem. My Upstream Power level will creep up to 51.9 dbmv and my connection goes REAL SLOW, or sometimes not at all. Optimums upper limit is 55dbmv BTW.

I have had the modem replaced, the original was a Motorola SB4100 and this one is a Webstar 2100 and the only difference is that the Motorola would crap out at 48dbmv.

The modem is fed off the first splitter which is a high quality 5-1100 model. I have replaced all splitters, 2 coax cables and also checked all the ends as well as the outside earthing with no luck.

Here is the REAL WEIRD PART:

When it fails, if I disconnect ANY COAX CABLE, FROM ANY TV in the house, it will jump back to 39dbmv and work again, until the next time it fails which may be 1 hour or 2 days down the road. It also seems to be sensetive to changes in temperature outside.

I managed to get lucky and have it in the failing condition when I called OOL tech service and the tech ran some remote tests and said I had "Sever Packet Loss" problems.

They are sending a tech out to the house so I would like to know if anyone has heard of this weird type of problem and what should I do to get it resolved? I am an engineer BTW.

Any help will be most appreciated!

Gregg

Reply to
Gregg Laplante
Loading thread data ...

This behavior is typical of a line drop problem, a loose or damaged connector, broken line insulation, poor line grounding, etc. It is not a modem problem and do not permit the tech to claim that it is.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.