Speakeasy DSL experience

Tried Speakeasy for one day, time to head back to Comcast cable.

Signed up for the trial because I received a letter from them offering me two months free, and their service appeared to be significantly cheaper than Comcast. Called them and discussed the terms, everything was to be free, including the DSL hardware.

Turns out this wasn't a two-month free trial, it was actually 25 days. And it wasn't a free trial at all, notwithstanding what I was told on the phone - it's just 25 days at full price before requiring a one-year service contract.

The first tipoff was a blizzard of billing emails within hours of activating their service, demanding payment within 7 days.

I tried to contact them online, but discovered I had to register first

- and there is no provision for online registration, have to obtain a password by phone. So I call my "installation coordinator" contact person, enter his extension number, it rings 8 times, then I get a message saying the extension is invalid, apparently because he hasn't logged in (this was his explanation when I finally contacted him after spending 40 minutes on hold while listening to repeated messages encouraging me to use their online service instead of sitting on hold).

And to top it off, the DSL connection was lousy, kept losing it. And the download speed was all of 140k.

Other than that, I was very happy with their service.

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

The saga continues -

I cancelled the service and am now attempting to return the hardware. As with just about everything else since this little saga began, it's been difficult to get a straight answer about how to accomplish this.

When I initially signed up, I was told that in the event of cancellation, I could simply drop off the equipment at their local office. I've since been told this is not possible.

When I called to cancel, I was informed that no RMA is necessary, simply attach the return mailing label from the box and take it to any UPS dropoff center. I called back and confirmed a second time (with a different service rep) that no RMA is required.

Sent them an email to confirm in writing, since the material in the box says I need an RMA to return. Received a response telling me that I had been misinformed, and that an RMA number is definitely required.

Incidentally, UPS will not accept the package, because there's no billing authorization or tracking number on the label, it's just an address form.

Now, since they've cancelled my service, they've also cut me off from being able to log in at their web site and read responses to the various emails. Sigh.

Reply to
Steve

Document it all and pass it to

formatting link

Reply to
Bit Twister

The good news: the service is officially cancelled. The bad news: they still can't figure out how and where I'm supposed to return their equipment. And their billing dept is frantically pumping out invoices.

Reply to
Steve

And exacty what would this accomplish?

Reply to
Bob Ward

From what I got from the saga was a bait a switch. Conflicting information on trying to return equipment. If it goes on more than 30 days he is stuck for the full year.

Might help other people who check the Better Business Bureau to see about a busines before using them.

Reply to
Bit Twister

}Bit Twister wrote: }>>>Document it all and pass it to

formatting link
}>>

}>> And exacty what would this accomplish? }>

}>From what I got from the saga was a bait a switch. Conflicting }>information on trying to return equipment. If it goes on more than 30 }>days he is stuck for the full year. }>Might help other people who check the Better Business Bureau to see }>about a busines before using them. } }The good news: the service is officially cancelled. The bad news: }they still can't figure out how and where I'm supposed to return their }equipment. And their billing dept is frantically pumping out }invoices.

Sounds like a frigin mess. keep grinding the bastards down until u win man!

Reply to
Lonnie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.