IP routing from a host connected to CM to a host on internet

Hi folks,

I would like a clarification regarding how IP routing happens between a host connected to a router which is in turn connected to the LAN i/f of a cable modem, and a host which is on the other side of CMTS (internet). I am confused because this is not a regular network of routers with the CM coming inbetween the host and CMTS.

------------

---------------- | | | | | CM |------------------| CMTS |-------- INTERNET---B | | | | ------------- ----------------- | Etherent port -------------------------- | | ------- | R | ---------Host A -------

I wanted to trace an IP packet from Host A to Host B. Where will the DHCP server for hosts connected to router R be located and also will I be able to run a routing protocol like RIP amongst the routers connected to various cable modems in the cable n/w. I guess that since CMTS is at ISP, BGP would be used beyond from CMTS to outside.

Really appreciate if someone could please explain this in detail. I am having a lot of trouble understanding this.

Thanks, syuga

Reply to
syuga
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.