adsl modem speed up software?

is there any software that unlocks a modem to do any speed it wants (providing the phone lines has no limitation) IE the speed it was set at was

1MB but the phone wire is capable of 2MB for example. Its just from a conversation that i heard at work but found strange as i would have thought that the modem was capable of its maximum speed as part of its hardware not its software?

Any answer would be interesting.

Reply to
Willherb
Loading thread data ...

It's both really, the hardware and the software has to be able to the faster speeds. The hardware does the work but the software tells it what to do. You can't just change the software in the modem to increase the speed though. The exchange end has to be set to the faster speed and with BT releasing MAX today that can be up to 8meg on exchanges that have been enabled for MAX.

The ADSL spec is up to 8meg so I would expect most modems to be able to run up to that speed without any changes.

Reply to
Rodney Pont
[A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to Willherb ], who wrote in article :

Essentially, it's the modem's BIOS. You pay your service provider for a particular speed, and modem is set up to run at this speed. The speed is most probably negotiated between the modem and your service provider, and you might be able to change the BIOS to botch this negotiation.

Of course, it is a breakage of service agreement (even if you manage to make it work), and it is immediately noticable from the other end...

Yours, Ilya

Reply to
Ilya Zakharevich

cheers i'm changing for a faster conectio at some point in the near future anyway but i didn't think that the guy was right and I was curios

Reply to
Willherb

:

My service is through QWest. The ISP that sold me my DSL modem/router did not make any changes to the modem and indeed told me to select any of the modems he had in stock. I watched as he set up the modem, which had more to do with DHCP options, LAN addresses and PPPoA options than anything else. I was told that QWest does the speed restriction thing at there end and nothing about the modem has an option for speed selection.

Reply to
John Bilbro

:

I've got Qwest DSL as well. I bought the Actiontec modem/router that they use as their "standard, supplied hardware" just to keep things simple. It has NO provision for speed settings but I keep track of the church's setup as well and I can tell you from some swapping around that the speed control is all at the Qwest end - the church usually has something like 2.4/2.4 mbs while I normally get 640/256 service at home. I say normally because on a forced retrain, especially at the church, I sometimes get a degraded connect at a lower speed and have to re-connect to get the speed back up. According to one of their service types, they do a line analysis at the higer speeds and adjust to condiditons at connect time. I swap modems back and forth every so often after firmware updates (the modem runs Linux/BusyBox) with no changes other than UID/PW.

Reply to
Will Honea

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.