wifi and AP not associated

I've an Atheros Pci Wireless card and i've installed the madwifi drivers on a debian Sarge.

I try to start the wifi with # wpa_supplicant -w -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d

And in an other shell: # wpa_cli status Selected interface 'ath0' wpa_state=ASSOCIATING ip_address=10.0.0.35

# iwconfig ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"mywifi" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated [...]

#cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf # WPA-PSK/TKIP

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={ ssid="XXX" scan_ssid="1" key_mgmt=WPA-PSK proto=WPA pairwise=TKIP group=TKIP psk="XXX" }

What can I do to associate my wifi card to the access point?

Reply to
RicercatoreSbadato
Loading thread data ...

You might try taking all the restrictions out. Just leave the ssid=XXX and the psk=XXX. All I have in mine is the above, plus an explicit priority so that my laptop favors the home network over any other open network that may be in range. And yes, I'm running ath0/madwifi on FC5. Here is my config (with the obvious things doctored up).

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant ctrl_interface_group=10 update_config=1

network={ ssid="example" psk=df4bf17360949b313536eae84b27b0b27098d76b1f6f0330f0971394f8f6d0eb priority=10 }

network={ ssid="any" key_mgmt=NONE priority=-1 }

(I'm not sure the second network clause does anything. I saw it in an example, but even when presented with an open access point it doesn't seem to do much.)

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

What wpa_supplicant driver driver are you using? You might try adding -Dmadwifi or -Dwext to select the madwifi or wireless extensions wpa_supplicant driver.

Jerry

---snip---

Reply to
Jerry Peters

but in your example... Do you use the WPA or the WEP protection? I use WPA!

Reply to
RicercatoreSbadato

I use WPA2.

$ wpa_cli status Selected interface 'ath0' bssid=00:01:02:03:04:05 ssid=example pairwise_cipher=CCMP group_cipher=TKIP key_mgmt=WPA2-PSK wpa_state=COMPLETED ip_address=10.0.0.100

The access point is a WRT54G running Openwrt "White Russian" RC5. The only choice it offers is WPA2-PSK. Restricting the choices at the client end seemed like the backwards way to run things since some attacker could still try to attack the other authentication methods.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Thank you, I'll try asap. ;)

Reply to
RicercatoreSbadato

i've tried with the madwifi... i've not yet discovered the solution. Now i use wep 128bit... tnx ;)

Reply to
RicercatoreSbadato

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.