Set up wireless network without PC

Hello,

I have a really old PC that has no ethernet ports (only phone ports for a dial-up connection). With the PC, I connected to to the internet via the USB port.

I've finally got a new laptop and would like to set up a wireless network.

1) Is there a way to configure a wireless network with just the modem and wireless router (without a pc)?

2) or is there a way (or product) that allows configuration of a wireless network without an ethernet port (my really old pc does have usb port)?

i appreciate your help. thanks in advance.

Reply to
andrinarenee
Loading thread data ...

On 7 Aug 2006 21:03:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

How about the new laptop?

You can configure a wireless access point or router over wireless with any computer that has a wireless adapter.

Reply to
John Navas

Check out the WiFlyer at

formatting link
It's an AP that can use high speed if available, but also has a dial-up modem built in... (you set it to use dial-up or an ethernet connect), and just leave your computer set to use the SSID of wiflyer (or whatever name you change it to)... Instant wireless network and a built in modem, about $130.... (fits in your pocket, I use it in motels when travelling so I can use dial-up over wireless if no wifi at the hotel)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Why not just get youself another usb wireless adapter, your old computer should have more than one usb port. If your connecting your cable, dsl modem to a usb port, you might want to consider getting a cheap ethernet nic. You can pick them up for as little as 5 bucks. It will be lots faster then USB 1.1, and frees up the port.

You might also want to consider what type of security you have to the internet, if your just using the old computer without a firewall, then you should invest in something more secure. Maybe pick up a cheap wireless router, and go that route.

Rthoreau

Reply to
rthoreau

On 8 Aug 2006 08:28:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com wrote in :

The "really old PC" might be running Windows 98, which (even SE) is problematic with USB.

Better idea.

Reply to
John Navas

Is that a cable modem? My cable modem is also an ethernet bridge. It has a USB port and an ethernet port that could each be used for internet if your cable account allows two computers to be connected at the same time.

If it only allows one, you could use either USB or ethernet, toggling back and forth at a web browser configuration screen, if it's set up like my Mediacom cable.

Assuming that your modem has an ethernet port, installing a wireless router would be the normal way to proceed. My choice today would be the Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $44.99. This is the WGR614v4 Router and WG511 CardBus card that I have.

The Netgear by itself is $27.99 after a $10 rebate. Then you would add some usb-Wifi adapter to the old PC and access the internet through the new router. You might like the "NETGEAR WG111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter" for $19.99.

You don't say how old the old PC is. USB is troublesome for Windows 98, but you are already running the internet connection, so you might be okay, or you might go for a wired connection, if you have an available PCI slot. The "Netgear GA311 Gigabit PCI Adapter " is $19.99.

It is possible to skip the router. You have a USB connection supplying internet into your old PC. If there is another USB port, or you add a USB hub, you could use a usb-WiFi adapter in ad-hoc mode to supply internet to your laptop. That might limit the access speed of your laptop.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.