repeater

I have a a remote section of my house that uses wireless. I have a linksys wireless n router. I want to add a repeater between the router and user as the connection is weak. What is my best choice?

Reply to
shawn
Loading thread data ...

On 9 Nov 2006 07:59:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@phatspot.com wrote in :

1. Wired connection to remote access point (a) Ethernet (a) Powerline (a) Phoneline (a) Coax
  2. Linksys wireless N device that supports WDS
Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
shawn

On 9 Nov 2006 08:05:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@phatspot.com wrote in :

Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread -- it's confusing.

Repeating of Linksys wireless N isn't available AFAIK, so you would lose the benefit of N by repeating. Repeating also results in a big speed loss.

Thus my #1 recommendation (not question) is a wired connection to a remote access point.

My #2 recommendation (not question) is Linksys WRE54G.

Reply to
John Navas

I have a Trendnet TEW-510APB access point (connected to a router) and can use my D-Link DWL-G700AP (really an access point) in repeater mode to increase the signal (only 802.11b/g) at the fare end of our house. Also works with WPA-PSK encryption.

Or you could take a look at a D-Link DWL-G710 wireless range extender.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

As John pointed out, repeating reduces your bandwidth. In fact, it cuts your pipe in half.

If all you do is pass internet traffic, it probably won't be noticable -- but if you pass a lot of LAN traffic around, repeating is quite ugly.

The "best" choice is another, standalone, seperate, wireless access point -- running as a standalone, seperate, wireless access point.

If running CAT5 to where you want the additional WAP isn't practical, what you could do (and I'm doing this), is get both a wireless-ethernet bridge and a new WAP. The bridge, acting as a client, brings your pipe in from the air and into the WAP over ethernet. Config the WAP with the same SSID as the WAP that you want to "repeat", but use a different channel. You now have a "repeater", but without cutting the pipe in half.

Reply to
Eric

Oh, yeah, bring the bridge online before the second WAP or the bridge may lock into the second's WAP's and go into a useless loop.

My DLink bridge stays locked with the "originating" WAP, if its brought up before the second WAP. (As both have same SSID's).

Better bridges probably can be locked onto an SSID by MAC and channel, I'd assume though.

Reply to
Eric

I think your (it was for me at least) was one of these... Powerline Wireless Access Points

With a sleek silver casing, our Powerline Wireless Access Points provide you with a wireless range extender in an easy to connect wall-plugged form factor. It's plug-and-play installation means you'll have a network set up in minutes without the needs to run cables throughout the house.

formatting link
unit plugged into my n wap/router downstairs by the cable modem,and the other unit (AP with SSID = Netgear) can be plugged in anywhere inthe house (or outside) where I need a better signalCase you are wondering, it's a 54Mbps device, and costs about $109 (for bothat staples)..

Reply to
Peter Pan

I'll second that comment about the powerline wall plug system. Last week I bought and installed a pair in a house that had a fireplace in the way and too much distance from the main router. Plug one into the router and the wall outlet nearby At the other end, the powerline (netgear brand?) plug allows to hook up to four pcs or add an access point to go wireless from there. Only have to be on the same mains - can be on seperate breakers.

Not cheap, but works well, very easy to setup. Better than WIFI in my opinion.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Unless the OP can find some n-bridging device that works with the linksys wireless n router at full n-speed, that solution will still cut the speed of the pipe - at the router end, because the set-up will be running in b- or g-mode.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

I see they are up to 200 Mb/s now. Nice! I pass a lot of video around the house, currently wireless, but this is catching my eye now...

I can't push 1080i, reliably, through the air...

Reply to
Eric

They actually make two types.. One is the four wired connection type (104), and the other is an AP with the SSID of Netgear (102... yes, I have both plugged into both the wap/router and an ac socket... Allows me to extend wired stuff, and use it with other wap/routers, or the one with a builtin AP, just plug it in to an electric socket where you want a wireless AP... For sure much easier than wifi, and even lets you put other ap's wired to the 104's (bit cheaper than the 102's with a built in ap if you have a few wap/routers sitting around)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Peter. Thanks for the info. I was fixing a family system and had two hours before the family dinner to pull it off. So I had little time to sort it out.

I had heard that they had a device with a radio but could find no indication from netgear on their site that this product existed. They seem to be keeping it a secret. Or I was in a hurry.

I see now that there are two "102s"; the XE102 and the WGXB102. The XE102 does not have a radio, while WGXB102 does. Both 102s seem to run at around "B" speeds (approx 5.5 thruput).

The XE104 is apparently a newer, faster standard but does not have a radio either.

For those deciding which powerline system to use, if SPEED is an issue, going with a pair of XE104s would keep it higher - the 104 claims an 84 mbps throughput. One could then plug an "N" Router/AP into the 104 if desired or just use it's four ethernet ports.

And if max speed is needed, the faster powerline at 200mbps....(don't know it's name- ) - well, powerline to ethernet wins readily for speed and reliability at a distance.

If speed is not an issue at all, then I guess it's a question of whether the remote pc is a laptop or desktop and if it already has a wireless adapter. In some cases, the WGXB102 might be the simplest, though not cheapest.

Powerline is a fantastic networking solution. Very easy to install. Not to be overlooked.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.