Remote WiFi Printing? Is it possible

I don't think printing to port 9100 is going to work. 9100 is Hp JetDirect Emulation. Unless I missed something, I could find no evidence of JetDirect emulation on the Canon ip4000r printer data sheet:

formatting link
'm not sure what protocol is used by my guess is the usual Windoze printing of NETBIOS over TCP/IP which users ports 137 thru 139. Opening these ports to the internet and redirecting them to your printer is a very bad idea. I don't think it supports LPR/LPD so that won't work either. I would need to find a more detailed data sheet, sniff your network, or port scan the printer to be sure.

What I do is run a VPN to my palatial office from whatever remote client computah I happen to be sitting in front of. If I need to print anything, all the office printers and servers are visible from anywhere. The VPN provides the security and encryption to keep hackers like me out of your system.

I keep juggling hardware to see how well (or badly) things work. I'm currently using a WRT54Gv1.1 with Sveasoft Alchemy firmware. It supports PPTP VPN which is not the greatest but is good enough. I use Windoze dialup networking to connect to the WRT54G. Browsing network neighborhood (or just running "net view") shows all my office machines. PPTP delivers an IP address to my remote computer, which is on the same /24 LAN as my office. In effect, my remote client machine is literally sitting on the office LAN as if I were in the office. The rest is simple printer configuration.

A better way to do this is to use an IPSec VPN instead of PPTP. However, PPTP comes with all mutations of Windoze and is therefore easier to deal with.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Canon ip4000r wireless printer. I have it setup on my home network and it works great. However, I'd love to be able to print to it remotely via my broadband connection. Is that possible?

I've done a little reading and most of the sites reference print servers or hotel setups for "public wifi printing". One company, such as

formatting link
is listed often but that's too much if I just want to print via tcp/ip using port 9100.

I cannot get that to work so I'm trying determine what is really needed.

Any help is appreciated.

T
Reply to
QueenGeek

So what have you done, what hardware do you have at home etc?

Reply to
David Taylor

For a no-cost solution, you could RDP into a machine at home (assuming you're running Windows), but that would require that a machine on your home network be left on. With RDP you can print to a printer attached to the client device. Not sure how secure this is, but I'm sure not very.

Reply to
SMS

In the distant past, I did a bit of work supporting netcat printing on SCO Openserver Unix. See:

formatting link
bottom of the page has most of the ports used by HP print servers.

The current list of port numbers at:

formatting link
hp-pdl-datastr 9100/tcp PDL Data Streaming Port

It's registered to HP, but seems to be designated for other functions. HP also uses 9101-9102 for print servers with multiple ports, which is NOT registered to HP.

So, you're proposing that he exposes his print server directly to the internet? Yes, that would work for a few minutes. I once put a Xerox N17 laser printer on a routeable IP address. The printer has an internal web server that was constantly being hit by scripted attacks. After finding it hung several times a day, I gave up on that idea.

Well, I'll confess that I don't know anything about IPP either. IPP is supported by W2K and XP. There's also an update to add it to W98/ME. If he wants to leave his computah turned on in order to print over the internet, that's an option. More correctly, it should be supported by the print server directly. Searching the Canon PIXMA printer support web pile and FAQ yielded nothing for IPP or "internet printing protocol". Google didn't do any better. I'll leave IPP implimention for someone who's used it. I still like my VPN method.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's just a port. Just because HP uses it for some specific purpose, doesn't mean that's what it's always for, unless it's an IANA assigned port (which it isn't). The question is how does he print to it wirelessly on his home network. If he can do that, he _should_ be able to do it from the Internet - providing that his router can redirect appropriately or his wireless printer has a static IP.

137 thru 139 are _just_ NETBIOS ports, with nothing specifically to do with printing. It's much simpler and safer to use 631 (Internet Printing Protocol) which should be safe to open to the Internet (though conceivably you'd find spam on your printer tray every morning!). I don't know anything about configuring IPP on Windows, but the Windows network I'm on right now is using it...
Reply to
Derek Broughton

Well, the question comes down to whether the Canon PIXMA implimentation supports IPP (Internet Printing Protocol). At first glance, I would guess(tm) it does not.

In the distant past, I've done quite a bit of work with wired print servers. Like routers, these were originally multi-protocol devices. Hp and Axis print servers would support just about every protocol known to man or machine. NETBEUI for Windoze, LPR/LPD and FTP for Unix, NDPS NPRINT and PSERVER for Novell, Direct to IP socket for Unix and DOS, HP Jetdirect emulation, AppleTalk for Mac, Named Pipe PROS, telnet scripting, and bunch of mainframe stuff I don't understand. You name the protocol and the print servers would support it. The catch was these devices cost $300 and up. Not exactly useful for imbedding in a $150 printer.

So, out went all the versatility, protocols, features, options, and goodies leaving only the most basic printing protocols, which these days means Windoze NETBEUI support. Some of the cheapo stand alone print servers also do LPR/LPD which is also supported in W2K and XP.

My guess(tm) is that IPP is not easy to impliment in a simple built in print server. That's because when I tried to find the applicable RFC documents, I found a rather huge list.

formatting link
quick scan of the RFC hints that this is not going to be simple.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

OK, so it is. It's not in my /etc/services, but I should have checked with IANA first.

That's not what _I_ proposed. That's what _he_ wanted to do.

And he might, too.

Exactly what IPP does. If he's got a genuine network printer, it almost certainly uses IPP and exposes an IPP server. He won't need to leave his computer on.

Sure, that's more secure and he might be prepared to do it. I simply don't see any real barriers to him doing exactly what he wanted to - IFF if is functioning as a network printer on his local network.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

IANA listings don't mean a whole lot either. They "expired" my listing. Not sure how they decided that was a good thing to do. I didn't realize it until someone else was issued the number, which now appears on newer Unix systems. My software still works, it's just that a netstat listing shows some other software name instead of mine.

Reply to
dold

otoh, I'd guess it would, as most modern network printers do - and Canon was in on the ground floor setting the standard. However, the question is moot if the OP won't tell us how he was getting his printer to work on his local network.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Sorry for all the dealy in writing as I've been sick. In any event, I'll answer how I'm connected.

I don't have a server in my SOHO network.....just 2 wireless XP machines, 1 laptop & 1 desktop. All TCP/IP & no NetBEUI. I'm not running vpn or IPSEC. I have a Netgear Wireless router...108Mbps.

One bit to add is that I also have Vonage (VoIP) which precedes my router in the chain of cable modem, router & vonage device. NAT is being used also.

I have also set my vonage device to redirect any pages to my netgear router but I think that maybe part of my hang-up. At this point, I'm just trying to determine **if** there's a way to access my wireless printer remotely and what steps are to be taken.

I am using a dynamic IP address but with the use dyndns.org, that's not an issue.

T
Reply to
QueenGeek

The printer needs a static IP address. Log into the router check the dhcp client list to find the printer's IP. Log into printer, disable dhcp client and set the static IP just above the router's dhcp range of IP addresses. (1 to10 set printer IP to 12). Then go into the printer setup on Each computer and edit the printer's port address and change the location to the static IP.

The computers look for the printer in one IP location and if the IP is changing IP they cannot find the printer. . TeddyBare

Reply to
Teddybare

I can print locally and the printer does have a static IP address. I'm trying to print remotely....say from my dad's house thru his firewall to my printer that's behind my firewall. Essentially, printing to a public printer like they do in hotel or airports but I just want to do it at home.

T
Reply to
QueenGeek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.