Problem with D-Link DSL-G624T

Hi!

I bought packet of DSL-924, which includes USB-WLAN dongle and ADSL-WLAN router. The router box is DSL-G624T. There is a problem with LAN ports. The LAN switch disconnects LAN computers exactly after one hour connection. I have checked this around ten times. Behaviour is repeated every time.

Is this typical bug in D-Link LAN switches or is there a configurable time-out timer in switch?

Firmware Version : V3.00B01T02.EU-A.20060208

Thanks,

Antti

Reply to
antti.tyrvainen
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@luukku.com hath wroth:

Questions:

1. Disconnects from what? From the router (can you ping the router)? From the internet (can you surf the internet)? From other computers on the network (try pinging them)?
  2. Are the various unspecified LAN computers connected via wireless or via ethernet?
  3. Are they active during the 1 hour before it times out? It might be some kind of power save feature on the computers.

Not typical or normal. I can't tell if there's a setting because the online emulator does not include the DSL-G624T:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann kirjoitti:

I have laptop XP and desktop with Debian. I open ssh from XP to Linux. ssh breaks down with message something like this 'peer-to-peer connection time-out by remote host...'

Both are connected 10/100 ports. WLAN is disabled.

I use G624T as my LAN switch. This doesn't occur with another switch. LAN settings are same.

WAN side works fine.

Sure both are active. I can just open new ssh to Linux.

Regards,

Antti

Reply to
antti.tyrvainen

Please check the the Linux SSH2 server is actually running.

So, each machine can go through the ethernet switch, through the router, and to the internet, but can't talk to each other.

If you're juggling ethernet switches and ports around, it's possible that the ARP table in the switch, and/or on both machines is confused. Change the switch and each machine could easily have the "old" MAC address. Try arp -a and see if it makes sense. Also, try to ping the other machine and anything else that's avaible such as the router. Otherwise, just try arp -d IP_ADDRESS to delete the ARP table entry. Also, power cycle the DWL-G624T.

No answer. I'll assume that the Windoze XP box and Debian boxes are the only computers on your network.

No answer. What happened to the 1 hour timeout?

I thought the problem was that it did work, but that there was a 1 hour timeout.

Check the route table on both machines before and after the 1 hour timeout. On Windoze: route print On Linux: netstat -rn Compare results before and after. One possibility is that the DSL-G624T has RIP or RIP2 active. If the router or some other device on your LAN is advertising a weird route, it might send the default route on the two machines off to weirdness. I have no idea why it would take an hour for this to happen, but it's worth checking anyway.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I went back to router settings. RIP is disabled.

I disabled DHCP server and set fixed IP for WIN and Linux clients. Now connection doesn't disconnect after an hour. DHCP lease time is set 3600 seconds.

But, I would need DHCP server when my friends will visit my LAN.

Antti

Reply to
antti.tyrvainen

Ok, there's your 1 hour disconnect. I'm not sure which device to blame. The DHCP client should start to try renewing the lease at 1/2 the lease time (30 minutes). If it fails, it will try with increasing frequency. I suspect the renewal is failing for some reason. My guess(tm) is that it's some issue with the DSL-624T. You might try testing the DHCP server from Windoze with: ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew and display the results with: ipconfig /all Also, try the DHCP/BOOTP query tool at: |

formatting link
see if it offers any clues.

If possible, set the DHCP server for a much longer lease time.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff, but what I should learn from above?

ipconfig /release kills remote connections. SSH pipe is disconnected.

ipconfig /renew returns remote connections.

IP expires when DHCP lease time ends.

Well, I will connect my old ADSL modem (Roadrunner) and I'll have a look when IP expires.

I did it.

Antti

Reply to
antti.tyrvainen

Look at the line in ipconfig /all with the DHCP lease expire time. Note that there will be TWO lease times. One for the local LAN IP address 192.168.0.xxx, and one for your VPN tunnel. The first comes from the DSL-624T. The 2nd comes from the server at the other end of the tunnel.

If either expiration time coincides with your disconnects, then that is what's causing your disconnects. My guess(tm) is that your DSL-624T DCHP server is delivering the minimium 1 hr lease time and failing to honor a DHCP renewal.

In addition, if the default gateway is at the other end of the VPN tunnel, the DHCP renewal requests (they're unicast, not broadcast)

*MAY* go through the tunnel and not hit your local router. Not all configurations are like this, so first we run a quick test. When connected to the VPN, try to ping your local router IP: ping 192.168.0.1 If that works, DHCP renewal will work. If that does NOT work, then the client will be unable to renew the DHCP IP address and may disconnect after about 1 hour. I say "may" because what it seems to depend on client configuration. Kinda hard to tell for sure without system details and diagnostic output.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

please help ihave a d-link DSL-G624T my rooter takes ip and its on line but i cant browzie pages with the explorer.my ips are correct.im loosing my mind.i only log on when the demilitirized is on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
mim

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:54:05 -0500, mim wrote in :

To help you we need a lot more information in plain English.

Reply to
John Navas

And you may need DMZ off.

Reply to
William4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.