Powerline ethernet adapters any good? Difference in powerline speed over direct connect Wireless?

I have a Range Extender (Linksys) downstairs in my home but signal is still weak no matter where I place it. Can connect but want a better and stronger connection.

Upstairs-have a Linksys with Speedbooster router with (WRT54GS) 2 third party 12 db replacement antennas. Tried placing router and antennas everywhere. I really need a stronger signal.

I want to either run Cat5 downstairs and then connect to a another wireless router (WAP)

OR use some Powerline modules via outlets and connect to another WAP wireless router..

My question: How much signal loss is there via Powerline adapters to a WAP -over- using my Cat5 to WAP??

I have one circuit breaker box in home. Home is 5 years old.

Thank you very much for this nebulous and perhaps oft asked question.

I could perhaps use 3rd party firmware on my router (WRT) but hate to make a brick out of it which I have done once b4 using SVEAsoft. Rather keep firmware intact.

Sincerely Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas
Loading thread data ...

Two things.. Powerline networking is REALLY cool, and way way faster than wireless, ones from netdisk are up to 54Mbps/85 Mbps/200Mbps (used to only be 14Mbps, they have come a long way), and do NOT have to be on the same breaker at all see

and

and

formatting link
Be aware, that while they work great for computers/gaming stuff/etc, they do NOT work for extending wireless from one router to the wan input of another

Wanted to extend from one wap/router to another and increase the hot area size, but it didn't want to work from output of one to input of another... Then I realized, there are power plugs in almost every room (and the sunroom/garage/etc.. why almost? none in the sauna - can't cook my body and be on the net at the same time - just an aside a radio won't even work in there, so saunas must be rf shielded) At any rate, was simple enuf to use it as a hardwire to nearest plug.. Have all 6 laptops and the PDA working, sharing files and printers, on the same network..

Ps, you can use the powerline stuff to create a separate subnet, but I wanted them all to be on the same and it won't do that....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks!!

Interesting. I thought I read that Powerline even though rated at up to

85Mbps do not ever reach those rates, perhaps up to 30Mbps and even then it depends on wiring of course.

****Was not aware that hooking from Powerline to another router (WAP) could be a problem.

**Any> snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
pattyjamas

Peter, You wrote in a different posting that the Powerline's were fine from Router to WAP Router. Are you saying they do not work now?

formatting link
"FWIW I have and use the XE103's and they work great with a wap/router on each end (same ssid so I have a large hotspot at my house), the 101's have only been out for a few months and I haven't used the newer models so can't say if there will be any probs with them (none so far with the 103's) "

Perhaps I misunderstood this other posting. Thanks for any clarification.

Patty

_______________ Peter Pan wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
pattyjamas

They work, but as different subnets... (you can share internet access, but a computer on one subnet won't see ones on the other subnet, in actuality it did finally work on the same subnet but it took a lot of messing around, and I sure wouldn't recommend it or remember how the heck I finally did it.. When the router died in the garage, I went with plan B and just did the hardwire)

In my situation, I was trying to put another wap/router in the garage (Northern Idaho/5 Acres, about 800 ft away from the house, but powered from the house, via underground power cable).. I could use the laptops on the wap/router in the garage and see the internet, but not the puters in the house... I went with just powerline networking to a hardwire to/on a laptop in the garage. Same transmitter lets me use the power plug for network access on the barn (about 1/4 mile back), and in the guest cabin (about a mile back) both with electric power from the house.

No matter how fast something is it only gets the speed of your internet connection... dial up 56k, DSL 3Mb, Cable 6Mb, sat 15Mb... so if you have something over those numbers, you are only gonna be able to access the internet at the slowest parts speed anyway... Powerline and wireless are faster than any internet input source, so you will always run faster than the internet input anyway...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

formatting link

formatting link
>

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link

Long (very long) ago, I had a pair of "wireless" intercoms that communicated over the powerlines. They worked only when both were on the same phase of the AC line ... not necessarily on the same breaker. More recently, I played with X10 remote control modules that also work only when connected to the same phase. As (my) luck would have it, the most convenient outlet pairs are sometimes not on the same phase, and so no talkie.

Do the powerline nics have the same problem?

Reply to
Roby

Never ran into multiples phases in a house, did run into a problem on a ship with two generators, and the network didn't feed thru to the other generators power lines.. In that instance, we just used two in the AC plugs for each in the power room (one on each line, and jumped em with a cat 5 cable so they would work as one).. Suppose you could do that in a home/business/etc too with multiple phases (circuits?).. Units are about $50 each, and you can have as many as you want...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

For the x-10 you can get a capacitor that you put accross the different phases.. If you do a search you might find something.

Reply to
gene martinez

Airman Thunderbird wrote:

In my location (Rural area, 10 acre parcels), my neighbor to the north (about 1/2 mile away, but on the same power transformer), and the 6 buildings on his property (various sons/daughters/in laws/etc), same to the south, but only two houses (father and son), were all on the same network (I had sat internet, no cable or dsl, and shared it with the neighbors..

Can't say it will work for anyone, but it worked fine for me in our location..

Reply to
Peter Pan

snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net (gene martinez) hath wroth:

It's more than just a cazapitor. It's a 120KHz tuned ferrite xformer between phases. The xformer (passive phase coupler) passes the 120KHz while blocking the 60Hz. About $2 in parts. There are also active phase couplers, that decode the commons and regenerate (re-transmit) the commands on the other phases. These are more expensive.

X10 couplers: |

formatting link
X10 power line networking FAQ: |
formatting link
They won't work with power line networking devices, which use (and trash) frequencies between 4 and 20MHz. The higher speed devices use an even wider bandwidth. It would seem that someone would make a HomePlug range extender or repeater, but I couldn't find a shipping product. |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Your neighbor, 1/2 mile away, is on the same transformer? That's not the way it's done here. With 10 acre parcels, everyone is on their own transformer. My last place had a transformer on my property, 150 feet from the street, and 500 feet from a neighbor, who had his own transformer at the street.

At my current place, there are no more than two houses per transformer, with drops about 150 feet long, maybe 200. The houses that are located toward the back of the lots have high voltage runs to their transformers on premise.

In "the big city", I recall that half the block, maybe 10 houses, was on a single transformer.

Reply to
dold

Yup.. Remember, it's Northern Idaho, gets about 3-4 FEET of snow per winter.. Power water phone are underground (no utility poles at all), same at my dads place in Tampa (hurricane area, everything is underground, cept he has cable and sanitary sewer).. In Vegas, they had underground power vaults (no utility poles) in newer subdisions and megacomplexes.. Come to think of it, my sisters old place was in a subdivision where everything is underground too (transformers were on poles, one lightning strike and 20 to

30 houses would go dark), but her new place (an older house) has wires on poles in the back yard.
Reply to
Peter Pan

dont you just need 2 back to back, with different settings, so they dont form a bridge loop?

FWIW Homeplug dont seem to deserve the .org domain name since they seem to wear standard US blinkers

- despite the fact that plugs and main power specs vary around the world, they dont mention anything about power versions - just seem to assume everyone lives in the US / Canada

some of the manufacturers seem to be based in Europe - so I'll just have to skim all the sites.

Reply to
stephen

The whole of my street, some 50-100 semidetached properties, is on the same transformer, and most of us are on the same phase.

On the other hand when I was in the wilds of Yorkshire, each house had its own transformer, and we had all three phases all to ourselves.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

its easier to do this in the UK, since the higher mains voltage (240v vs

110v in the US) means you dont need so much copper for the same power output and "sag" on the supply...

but here it is supposed to be adjacent houses on different phases - supposedly to even out the load across the phases.

i guess power cable is cheaper than more transformers?

Reply to
stephen

I wonder if anyone has the answer for my question : if I use a powerline connection within my house, can I connect plugs which are on different phase ? my house has a 3-phase distribution Thanks in advence Dimitris

? "Mark McIntyre" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Dimitris

Got me curious when you mentioned that earlier, I'm in Baltimore at the moment fixing up my sisters new house, and the electrician told me they do NOT use mutiphase power systems in this area for houses (we are having a sub panel put in)..

From what I was told (that may or may not apply to you/make sense), Theye bring 3 wires in off the pole, two hot's and one neutral. The two hots are called legs, and a hot to neutral is 120V, and hot to hot is 240V (two legs, no neutral) .. The powerline networking stuff works/multiplexes on the neutral, so only 120v stuff will work (since they share the neutral), but not the 240V since there is no neutral... However, it is very rare for any

240 plugs in the house (usually for things like range/oven/dryer/big ac/etc)

There are some commercial places that have two phases (restaurants, laudries, service station (for the hydraulic hoist etc) etc), and some humongous mills that use a third phase for things like a 50 ton hydraulic press, or rollers for 100 ton hot metal slab mover.. Doubtful it would ever be in a home though...

So I have to w> I wonder if anyone has the answer for my question :

Reply to
Peter Pan

In Europe , the system is 220/240 AC for one phase and 380/420 for 3 phase. The 3 phase uses 5 wires. One is earth, one is the neutral and the other 3 are in pairs with the neutral and are spread to distribute as evenly possible the loads within the home central fuse box. This is now a common practice in Greece, for the last 10-15 years. Older houses( like the flat I used to live before) have a 25Amp single phase distribution. What I'm wondering is if the signal from the plug in my office on the ground floor will be passed to the plug in my bedroom on the first floor, which may be on a different phase, or it will be limited to plugs that have to be on the same one.. I suspect it won't be. so I guess I'l have to play within my fuse box to make sure that the rooms I'm interested in - I will leave the bathroom out fot the time being !! - are on the same phase Dimitris

Ï "Peter Pan" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news:NoWdnWn2Q7IZR4bYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
Reply to
Dimitris

Yes, that was for US power stuff (thought about that after I wrote it....) I wonder from what you said, what is the 380/420 part used for? Is that similar to the 240 in the US that use two hots and no neutral? (only some special plugs even have use that higher voltage, all the rest are the lower

120 volt.... From what you said, isn't the 220/240 stuff in most rooms, where you can plug things in? Those wouldn't seem to need the 3 phase stuff...

At any rate, checked into powerline networking on the netgear website (of course they have a lot of countries listed, but not greece :( )... Here's the UK one

formatting link
and in the specs for power it says "Works with 3 prong standard 240 volt electrical outlets"...

Sorry, that's the closest I can get to an answer for you... But if it does happen to work in your situation, I can definately say I have them, have used em, love em, and don't get a commission for saying that :)

Dimitris wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.