NEWS: Verizon and AT&T May Both Get Apple Tablet

I understand them just fine.

Can you show that the iPad is actually *behaving* any differently than other similar devices?

Reply to
Alan Baker
Loading thread data ...

It's not my allegation. I'm only pointing out that other devices do not have the alleged issue. Don't be so defensive.

Reply to
John Navas

Can you show that iPads have the alleged issue?

If not, it comes down to specs. Both the iPad and other similar devices report the same safe operating range.

Reply to
Alan Baker

he's waffling, as expected.

he can't show they're any different than anything else because they aren't.

right.

Reply to
nospam

in other words, you can't.

case closed.

Reply to
nospam

"Tom" wrote in news:i39ogs$1qq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Fill a styrofoam cooler with DRY ICE. Let it sit for an hour to cool off.

Touch the outside of the cooler, like you do the outside of the iPad.

Does it freeze your hand to the case of the cooler because it's -109.3°F or -78.5°C inside the cooler? No. It doesn't feel cold at all!

You see, there's iPad's problem. It's case is NOT a good thermal conductor, either. It gets lots hotter INSIDE the iPad than you're feeling outside, especially during heavy usage like playing video or heavy gaming with lots of CPU usage. There's no cooling system, like the hot air blowing out of a proper laptop cooling system. Only the heat that leaks out through the plastic case and glass, a great insulator glass, screen cool the guts of it. When the temperature outside RISES, the temperature differential inside to outside becomes more pronounced because the heat now has no place to go.

All they had to do is connect the powerful ICs producing heat to the back panel of the iPad that SHOULD have been a heat sink, like this:

formatting link
Ribbed just a little like the top of this enclosure, with the hot ICs heating it pushed up against the aluminum on the inside, All this nonsense would be unnecessary.

The ribs would even make it so the damned thing wouldn't try to slip out of your hands!.....

Reply to
Larry

it's metal, and is actually a very good conductor.

you've measured it?

oh right, you haven't, and you're talking out your ass, as usual.

it's a metal case, not plastic.

it does.

that's going to look real nice on the back of a tablet. it probably weighs more than the entire ipad does.

why aren't you bashing the dell streak, asus eeepad or that piece of shit tablet you got off ebay for not having a giant ass heatsink?

Reply to
nospam

What part of I'm-not-taking-any-position do you not understand? iFans tend to see anything other than praise as an attack. You need to broaden your horizons, and not be so defensive.

See above. You're trying to shoot the messenger.

Reply to
John Navas

Pot ...

Reply to
John Navas

You are taking a position.

You're taking the position that products other than the iPad with the same operational temperature limits are actually better than the iPd.

LOL

LOL

Reply to
Alan Baker

What claims have I made here that I haven't supported?

Reply to
Alan Baker

you said apple had shoddy engineering, despite other companies having products with the same specs. it's *your* statement and it's called hypocrisy.

pejorative remarks means you have no substance. it's your standard 'out.'

actually, it's you who needs to do that.

Reply to
nospam

Nope.

Nope.

Reply to
John Navas

This kind of trolling is par for the course for John Navas.

John is notoriously untruthful in the rec.photo* forums.

Slap him, then ignore him.

-hh

Reply to
-hh

Because they're not made by Apple. Why aren't you ignoring the troll?

heatsinks with fins work much better than heatsinks with buttocks.

formatting link

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Yup.

Yup.

Reply to
Alan Baker

You're badly confused. Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Or do you just bash everyone not cheering for Apple?

Whatever, I'll try one last time to make it clear:

1. I have no personal interest in the iPad because it does not fit my own needs (whether well engineered or not).

1. I started this thread only because it's a relevant item of interest.

2. I have no experience with the alleged iPad overheating issue.

1. I have no opinion about the alleged iPad overheating problem.

2. I know many comparable products that do not have the alleged issue.

1. I know that actual thermal performance is often considerably different from published specs, usually better, sometimes worse.

2. I know that some past Apple products have had thermal issues.

This is based on relevant professional and personal experience.

Now please give it a rest. Thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

I said nothing of the sort.

That's not pejorative. Check the definition.

Translation: I don't buy into the bashing of compact digital cameras by those who wrongly claim a dSLR makes for a better photographer. Back into the kill filter you go.

Reply to
John Navas

'I've never had this kind of thermal issue with a cell phone or an Acer netbook even in pretty harsh conditions. The apologies here, starting with the "technical" nonsense posted by Steven, are a sorry commentary on Apple engineering.'

That is taking a position.

Then what you said to begin your participation in this thread makes no sense.

And yet declare something that you now say you're not claiming happens a "sorry commentary on Apple engineering"...

Any time you want to stop replying, please feel free.

Reply to
Alan Baker

You said it was a "sorry commentary on Apple engineering". To say that, you must believe the allegation.

The first refuge of the weak-minded.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.