NEWS: Samsung takes on the Apple iPad with the 7 inch Galaxy Tab device

By Matthew Miller | September 2, 2010, 7:00am PDT

As I have written about a couple of times on my Smartphones & Cell Phones blog Samsung is rolling out some great Android smartphones with their Galaxy S devices, including the Sprint Epic 4G, so today when they announced the Samsung Galaxy Tab at the IFA show I started reading more to see if it was worth buying. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a 7-inch Android-based tablet device designed as an alternative to the Apple iPad and I think the key to its success is the applications and user experience. From what I have seen on the Galaxy S phones, I think they can do a great job with the UI and media too.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has the specifications to excel, including:

• 1.06 GHz Cortex A8 processor with PowerVR SGX540 * 512MB of memory * Google Android 2.2 operating system * 7 inch 1024×600 capacitive touchscreen display * Quad-band GSM and tri-band HSDPA * Bluetooth 3.0 * 802.11 b/g/n WiFi * 4,000 mAh battery for 7 hours of movie playing * 3 megapixel camera with LED flash * 1.3 megapixel front facing camera * A-GPS receiver * 16 or 32 GB internal flash memory with microSD card

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has full support for the Android Market and comes with Zinio and Kobo preloaded to give you an out-of-the box ereading experience. You can always then downlod the Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook apps too. It also comes with the fantastic Swype onscreen keyboard.

It doesn?t look like the device will support T-Mobile 3G in the USA and can only be used with the AT&T cellular network. ...

MORE:

or

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.