Most efficient way to obtain a paper analog design book from PDF (see URL)

There are electronics books out there that I'd like to print but I'm trying to figure out what's the most efficient way to do so.

For example, here's a 250-page book titled "Designing Analog Chips" by Hans Camenzind, located at:

formatting link
Is there an efficient printing mechanism that you can tell me about?

For example, I only have a B&W laser printer. The book is 250 pages (so that's 125 sheets of paper). At Costco, I can buy 1,000 sheets of paper for $35 (~4 cents a sheet). How much is typical laser powder cost per two-sided sheet of paper?

If I assume total costs at about 5 cents a sheet, that book costs me about $6.25 to print. But, the author recommends color. Plus you'd want to bind it somehow. Plus, not all books are in an 8.5x11 form factor.

Larger books will cost correspondingly more.

Other than buying the book new or used on Amazon, do you have helpful ideas for self printing of electronic design books most efficiently?

Reply to
Martin C.
Loading thread data ...

"Martin C." wrote in news:jku1a8$3t1$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Staples and FedEx/Kinkos are able to print and bind documents like that but they are costly - likely more than simply buying the books. You can get laser paper that is prepunched so that you can use a normal 3-ring binder for storage. When printing pdf files, you can resize the pages to fit 8.5x11 paper.

Reply to
Jeff

How about an Android tablet as an ebook reader. Do you really need hardcopy?

The book is pretty aggressive, covering semiconductors, circuits and even layout, but seems quite skimpy on basic circuit analysis. Norton, Thevenin, and of course models of transistors (hybrid Pi, etc). You may want to get a used copy of Gray and Meyer.

I can see some chip designers arguing with bits of the book, especially the part on component matching and the use of dummy elements.

Reply to
miso

Using *wireless*?

[sloppy crossposting trimmed...]
Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I don't know ... call me old school.

There's just something about having a hard copy around ... something to flip the pages of ... to write in the margin ... to put a bookmark in ... that just feels right.

I can't get that on a little screen of my laptop.

BTW, I'm still looking for a good cmos analog circuit to capture, simulate, and lay out ...

To that end, I found this set of books on the design of cmos op amps from ADI (the masters of analog!):

Op Amp Applications Handbook

formatting link
Linear Circuit Design Handbook
formatting link
A DESIGNER'S GUIDE TO INSTRUMENTATION AMPLIFIERS (3RD EDITION)
formatting link
TI Design Guide: Op Amps For Everyone:
formatting link
Circuits I have Known:
formatting link

Reply to
Martin C.

Well for capture and simulation, it is hard to beat LTC spice. At least for windows.

For layout, do you mean PCB or integrated circuit?

Gray and Meyer has some CMOS design in it. I have a number of book on CMOS analog design, but there aren't that many secrets to it. Plenty of other textbooks on CMOS analog. Phillip Allen, Alan Grebene for instance. Not free of course, but they are actual textbooks.

Incidentally Hans' improved mirrors are kind of marginal. What most CMOS companies do is use two different threshold devices based on which poly is used. One device has a normal threshold, and the other is close to zero. You use the low threshold device for the cascode element. Hans circuit tries to do this by sizing the devices, but that produces a very large device as the cascode element, which in turn has significant capacitance. That might be all the process he used was capable of doing, but the dual poly scheme goes back to the NMOS analog days when I was using Intel's double poly NMOS.

ADI is fine, but these days, there are good analog designs out of TI, LTC, Maxim and maybe a few others. But note that CMOS linear as a means to produce analog components is marginal at best. The advantage to CMOS linear is to product systems on a chip rather than precision components. Note I would designate oversampled converters and charge redistribution circuits as systems on a chip.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.