Linksys, worst service ever !

I recently bought a new laptop that has vista on it.

I can't connect wireless with my linksys router (I have a router and an accespoint of linksys, none of them works wireless) (I have connection with cable. I am changing setting since a few days and I can't get it working, frustrating ! Did look at the help files, etc...

So I called technical support of linksys, I had to give my model and serrialnumber. Then they told me that it is no longer under warranty, I can pay $33,99 for

6 months of help or $29,99 for this one time help!

I couln't believe my ears, they could help but these are the conditions.

Does anybody know what setting does need to be changed to use the router with vista? I'm sure that it's a setting, that's all, it's a shame, they charge their customers this price for the information (they could put it on their website as well)

For that price I can buy a router, my provider gives me 1 free. I was thinking I have the linksys I can as well use it.

If some1 can help please let me know. If some1 of linksys reads it, LEARN FROM THIS!

Thanks

Reply to
Notonthemoon
Loading thread data ...

You didn't specify which laptop, nor which Linksys equipment models and their respective firmware versions, so my advice will be equally vague.

Do a factory reset on the Linksys wireless router to return all settings to their defaults. This provides the added benefit of removing any wireless encryption, temporarily. Check for and update the firmware, if necessary.

Change the router's SSID to something unique. You don't want to accidentally connect to a neighbor's network, and you don't want them accidentally connecting to yours.

On the laptop, search for available networks. You should see your unique SSID and be able to connect to it. You've verified the ability to connect wirelessly. If you see no networks at all, check to be sure your wireless function is enabled.

Go back to the router and enable wireless encryption. WEP is broken; use WPA2 PSK or WPA PSK. Enter the key, and make it long and difficult to guess. Consider using dicewords to generate a key.

Go back to the laptop and once again scan for available networks, find your unique SSID and attempt to connect to it. I assume your unspecified laptop supports the flavor of WPA you've selected on the router, so it should pop up a dialog asking for the key. Enter it and it should finish connecting.

Clean up by going back to the router and changing the admin password and making any other config changes necessary for your provider.

Reply to
Char Jackson

First mistake.

Do you also have model numbers? Also include the hardware version (on the serial number tag). Extra credit for supplying the firmware versions. If the firmware versions are out of date, update to the latest versions.

Keep changing the settings. You'll get it eventually.

Well, I charge $75/hr. That's about right for a half hour on the phone trying to pry numbers and details out of you.

Try the Geek Squad or Fire Dog. Geek Squad charges $80 to walk you though the setup on the phone.

Ummm... Are you in Belgium?

Nope. Not without knowing the router model.

Actually, there are 5 settings.

1. WAN connection settings to the internet.
  2. Wireless SSID name
  3. Encryption method (I suggest WPA-PSK-TKIP or WPA2-PSK-AES)
  4. Encryption pass phrase
  5. Router password.

Nothing is free. You'll pay for it as part of your monthly service charges.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

One more detail. Vista had some problems obtaining a DHCP assigned IP address from some routers. I believe this was fixed in Vista SP1 or one of the updates that appeared just before SP1 arrived. Make sure your Vista operating system is properly updated.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

And one can only imagine the hassles that caused the linksys personnel too.

Customer service is a two-way street...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:49:52 +0100, "Notonthemoon" wrote in :

Seems reasonable to me. Support is expensive. Why would you expect them to lose money just to make you happy?

There's lots of information on the website -- have you checked?

How much support do you think a manufacturer can afford in a low priced wireless router? How do you think that support should be paid for?

Learn what?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.