How to list all devices on the Windows or Linux home network

My question remains. Unlessthe DHCP server has stuffed up its pool table, a client reboot will cause the DHCP host to reassign the prior pool IP to an unexpired lease for the NIC's MAC address, no?

Reply to
pedro
Loading thread data ...

(snip)

It is my understanding (and I have been known to be wrong) that the whole "power cycle and restart sequence" is going to address only a couple of possible issues:

(a) the modem/router may have got its knickers in a twist, and this may help untwist them. (Like the MS three R's - retry, reboot, reinstall).

(b) restarted client devices renegotiate for a DHCP-assigned IP address. Mac addresses are matched against the table entries with unexpired leases, and assigned following set rules.

Quite happy to be further educated ....

Reply to
pedro

Fing is the tool of choice of several IT professionals I know, who rely on Fing when investigating clients' networks. I personally use the iphone version when exploring the home network.

Reply to
pedro

nmap.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

nmap sucks. We already proved that.

Reply to
Anda Lucite

No, you did not.

"nmap -sn 192.168.1.*" tells what machines are up in my lan, and takes two seconds to do it.

If you don't like how it prints the info, see the "OUTPUT" section on the man to change the output.

something like "fping -a -c 1 -q -g 192.168.1.0/24" also does it, but needs further adjustments to the options. For instance, replace -c with -C.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Unfortunately for both of us nmap gives incorrect (missing) information. I just ran it again, using your suggested options and nmap found 5 devices on my network while fing foud 9.

So nmap misses almost half the devices that I know are connected (because I recognize all of them, mostly they are iPads).

nmap is just bad. It's worse than bad because people trust it. But it gives incomplete answers.

Fping is just as bad as nmap is missing the Apple devices on the network!

$ fping -a -c 1 -q -g 192.168.1.0/24

192.168.1.3 : duplicate for [0], 84 bytes, 27.0 ms 192.168.1.116 : duplicate for [0], 84 bytes, 23.7 ms 192.168.1.1 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/1/0%, min/avg/max = 2.01/2.01/2.01 192.168.1.2 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/1/0%, min/avg/max = 186/186/186 192.168.1.3 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/1/0%, min/avg/max = 26.7/26.7/26.7 192.168.1.4 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/0/100% 192.168.1.5 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/1/0%, min/avg/max = 0.08/0.08/0.08 192.168.1.6 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/0/100% 192.168.1.7 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/0/100% 192.168.1.8 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/1/0%, min/avg/max = 331/331/331 192.168.1.9 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 1/0/100%

In the situation above, Fing found that my Apple devices were on

192.168.1.6 & 192.168.1.7 which both nmap & fping totally missed.

So far, the *only* accurate output was from the command-line fing on Linux (or on the iPhone or iPad).

Reply to
Anda Lucite

It finds all devices in my network, but I don't have ipads.

If it doesn't find a particular device, it is because it doesn't respond to that particular type of probe. So read the manual and find what you have to change in the options so that it finds those devices.

No, it gives you the answer you ask of it, not what you think you are asking.

Same reason as for nmap.

So, do a full nmap scan on those IP to find where they do respond, what ports they have open, then modify the scan command accordingly. I can't do it because I don't have any apple hardware.

Perhaps:

nmap -A -T4 192.168.1.6

From what I read in a quick google search, apple devices keep silent. I find these suggestions:

nmap -O -v ip

Also try adding --osscan-guess; --fuzzy for best results. Example:

nmap -O -v --osscan-guess ip

formatting link

The last comment there gives a clue.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I tried them all to no avail. It's pretty simple to me.

Neither nmap nor fping nor arp-scan can hold a candle to fing when it comes to the simplest of tasks, such as telling you all the devices on your network.

To get fing to try it yourself:

$ wget "

formatting link
" $ mv "download?plat=lx64&ext=deb" fing_lx64.deb $ sudo dpkg -i ./fing_lx64.deb $ sudo fing -n 192.168.1.0/24 -r 1

Reply to
Anda Lucite

It would be much nicer if fing was opensource, so you could actually see what it does scan for.

>
Reply to
William Unruh

No, that is not true. Remember it is free software, you have to invest your own work.

No. First, it is proprietary, Secondly, I don't have apple hardware in my premisses in order to test what it does differently.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

I'm not gonna disagree with you nor with anyone who *wishes* that arp_scan or fping or nmap would simply list all the devices on the network.

I wish they would too. But they don't.

Why? I do not know.

The good news is that you can log into your router to see whether there is a rogue Apple device on your network.

The bad news is that you can NOT see that rogue Apple device from Linux without using fing (as far as anyone here can tell).

Reply to
Anda Lucite

No, that is not true. You have to find out how. And it is you who has to investigate how to do it for us, not the other way round, as it is you who has Apple hardware >:-)

Linux expects its users to contribute back ;-)

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Anda Lucite wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

formatting link

be very wary using this app - my son just clocked up $1900 on this app - do not use it

Reply to
Chris Ahlstrom

I *did* contribute back.

1. I asked how to list all devices from the computer.
  2. The answer was to try nmap, fping, arp_cache, & fing.
  3. I reported back to the team results of testing all four suggested solutions.

What more do you want me to do to "contribute back"?

Reply to
Anda Lucite

Reading Computerworld | Feb 27, 2012 8:30 PM PT, Defensive Computing:

formatting link

1. "I have been looking for a simple way to see all the devices on a Local Area Network for a long time."
  2. "Fing...seems to be the answer. It's fast, free and extremely useful."
  3. "Unlike my router, Fing reports on all connected devices"
  4. "The main feature is scanning and discovering all devices on the network..."
  5. The author found differences in *what* was reported between Android & iOS (but not what devices)
  6. "Apple nonetheless appears as the manufacturer of record"
  7. "Fing keeps track of all the devices that it has ever seen on the network"
  8. "not only is Fing free, but there are no ads"

Given the ending quote, how can someone rack up a single dollar using fing?

Reply to
Anda Lucite

Probably by trying to scan the entire Internet from his smartphone and so chewing through his dataplan quota.

Reply to
John Hasler

It is always a bad idea to reinvent the wheel. Ie, if something he needs already exists, he should use it. It seems it does not in the open community. He could not know that without asking.

Now, how can he proceed? a) use fing, a closed source program which might be infected and be reporting home on a variety of things.

b) run tcpdump, or some other network sniffer and see what packets are sent out by fing to the other machines, which differ from what fping/nmap/... send out.

No it does not expect it. It does encourage it, but that is vastly different and there is no necessity to do so in order to use linux.

>
Reply to
William Unruh

Sorry, how did he manage to clock up any money using this app? I thought it was free. Where was the charge?

>
Reply to
William Unruh

look at the free Nirsoft utilities Network Monitoring Tools <

formatting link
>

Reply to
Zaidy036

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.